AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
21,347 Posts
here are the two plots, one on top of the other, modified such that they are on the same scale.

the smooth black line is the 18sound.

the ragged line under it is the driver mentioned (beyma 5g40).

i might be off by a hairline here or there, but the overall point i think is made in the direct comparability. at least with respect to frequency response, which is the objective of these plots.

· Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yes, i've seen the wideband scaling before, and totally disregarded the 93db efficiency at first glance. HD is fantastic from 200-3khz though and the smaller diameter means less potential for beaming at 3khz, not to mention the off axis response. Another suspiscion on comparison....the 18Sound looks awefully smooth....maybe some undeclared smoothing in the graph? I think this little guy merits further investigation! Sorta like the differences between Zaph's FR plots of the 6MD38 and B&C's which are kinda ragged in comparison. I like the fact that it doesn't have that steady rising reponse that the 18sound has either. Truthfully, ears will be a better judge on this one, and i remain optomistic.

· Banned
2,602 Posts
i have used this driver in my old car ( in place of stock 5" driver in the door )

build quality is solid and the sound is explosive. nice driver.

i was using it with 500hz high pass.

this driver is heavy despite using neodymium magnets. they didn't skimp on any metal there. also my friend couldn't solder the wire to it because the soldering gun kept getting sucked into the neodymium magnet. that was pretty funny.

· Registered
21,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/16845151

I've tested both of those drivers in the plot. They are in my photobucket link.

EDIT: actually it was the 6G40 I think. Here:
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...eyma%206G40Nd/
http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...und%208NMB420/

mr. a.,

you are just downright awesome!

i see what i want to see when i look at these plots, so if you wouldn't mind providing your objective criticism/commentary on each, lots of folks would surely appreciate it.

one concern that i would have is that distortion in the 6gn40 will increase more rapidly than in the 8nmb420 for any given spl simply because it is a smaller driver. however, this may be wrong.

i look forward to your comments, should you choose to comment further. thanks again for all the measurements.

just... plain... awesome!

· Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For such a driver i would expect it's passband to be 200-2khz in an intended use. This little driver has very low HD in that passband, making it IMO a no brainer for a midrange driver. I'll see if my friend who does live sound has any experience with it, or one that i can 'borrow' for testing.

· Registered
26,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/16852916

For such a driver i would expect it's passband to be 200-2khz in an intended use. This little driver has very low HD in that passband, making it IMO a no brainer for a midrange driver. I'll see if my friend who does live sound has any experience with it, or one that i can 'borrow' for testing.

Seems like a good find but the B&C 6MD38 is just as good ad its only around $80

I own the PHL 1120 and the B&C 6MD38. PHL has a very good reputation for SQ and the B&C is a drop in replacement for 1/2 the price.

I also own the 18sound 6ND410 6.5" that I think is a steller high effeciency performer...just waiting on a project and waiting on Auger's measurements.

· Registered
26,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/16844890

Oh yes, i've seen the wideband scaling before, and totally disregarded the 93db efficiency at first glance. HD is fantastic from 200-3khz though and the smaller diameter means less potential for beaming at 3khz, not to mention the off axis response. Another suspiscion on comparison....the 18Sound looks awefully smooth....maybe some undeclared smoothing in the graph? I think this little guy merits further investigation! Sorta like the differences between Zaph's FR plots of the 6MD38 and B&C's which are kinda ragged in comparison. I like the fact that it doesn't have that steady rising reponse that the 18sound has either. Truthfully, ears will be a better judge on this one, and i remain optomistic.

Its interesting you talk about not wanting a rising response. I have read that rising response is a good thing with midrange sound.

· Registered
21,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16853213

Its interesting you talk about not wanting a rising response. I have read that rising response is a good thing with midrange sound.

just as a random data point. in room, it is closer to flat than rising.

· Registered
26,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/16853258

just as a random data point. in room, it is closer to flat than rising.

Correct.

I was taught to not look for the flattest FR plots instead a gentle rise will be a better sounding driver. I have no idea though, Im definitely not the expert but I do enjoy some of those drivers.

· Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/16853193

Seems like a good find but the B&C 6MD38 is just as good ad its only around $80

I own the PHL 1120 and the B&C 6MD38. PHL has a very good reputation for SQ and the B&C is a drop in replacement for 1/2 the price.

I also own the 18sound 6ND410 6.5" that I think is a steller high effeciency performer...just waiting on a project and waiting on Auger's measurements.

I'm being a bit more critical as i have an intended use for this driver as a midrange( and you know what that is
) to cross at 3khz, and this driver is a bit cleaner and less likely to beam at 3khz than the 6.5" B&C. HD is also the lowest of the ones you compared so it may be worth the extra $$.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.