AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing an issue I would like some input on to see if anyone has any ideas, or seen this issue before. First, let me describe my setup. I have a Sony KP53HS10 hi-scan TV (ISF calibrated) with DirecTv service. I have two dishes, each aimed at its own satellite (101 and 119). I use the Mits HD STB and run the component output to the Sony TV's component input for 1080i, and I run an S-video cable to a different input of the TV for 480i broadcasts. Whenever I view 1080i broadcasts, I experience a signal drop , or something, when there is a lot of action or activity in the broadcast. This happens with DirecTv as well as OTA broadcasts. The screen will go black and then come back with the green text on the screen telling you the DTV format is 1080i. I always chalked this up as being an issue with the signal strength, until recently. Last week I received an IScan Pro that I was interested in introducing to my setup for two reasons, to improve my 480i to 480p for regular DirecTv broadcasts, as well as upgrading the picture on my Sony 7700 DVD player. The Sony TV only has one component input, so I also bought an automatic switcher (key digital systems) that is capable up to 130mhz for HDTV switching. I hooked my DVD and Mits 480i S-Video into the IScan and ran the IScan into the switcher. The Mits HD 1080i is run right to the switcher and the switcher into the component input on the TV. It actually was a very easy setup that works well, especially since now you only are using one input on the TV, you don't have to cycle through the different video inputs for different sources. I didn't notice much of a difference with the IScan on regular 480i TV, except for credits after movies and other text on the screen. Although, some of my better looking channels (ie. - movie channels) did seem to have a better picture. My DVD was a little bit better, but I wouldn't say it was a remarkable difference. All in all I was questioning whether it was a good decision to purchase the IScan when I started to go through different DVD's and noticed the same sort of problems that I had while watching 1080i material with a lot of action. With DVD's with a lot of action (saving private ryan) the 480p material was dropping out, going black, and coming back just like with 1080i material described above. I thought that maybe the switcher wasn't as capable as I thought, so I ran the DVD straight into the IScan and the IScan straight to the TV's component input, thus taking the switcher out of the equation. I still experienced some drop outs, but not as bad, I would say about half as many as with the switcher in the mix. At this point I started to think that maybe the TV or the component input on the TV was the issue because I was having this problem with 1080i, and now 480p. So I decided to run the DVD straight into the component input on the TV. I had never done this before because my Mits HD STB was always using this input. I ran through the same DVD's and did not experience a single dropout on any material. So, has anyone else experienced these dropouts while watching 480p or 1080i material. Any reasons why? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks - Kreig

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same TV as you, but a different receiver, the Toshiba DST3000 (which I believe has the same internals as the Mitsubishi), which I only got a week ago. I have the same behavior as you describe when viewing 1080i, whether its native HD material, or standard material upconverted by the Toshiba. Whenever a lot of action is happening onscreen, I get lots of dropouts. Frequent quick cuts or high contrast scenes (e.g. lightning flashes at night). I don't have a progressive DVD player hooked up at the moment, but I am running the component video through the switch on my Denon 2802 receiver, so I can squeeze the output for anamorphic DVDs. I will try running 1080i material straight through to the back of the set, to see if the switch is somehow the issue, and post the results here. I hope the switch is NOT the issue, since I bought the Denon specifically to fulfill that function.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Very weird. I watch a lot on channel 509 on my RCA DTC-100 and will be watching a lot on 109 now that HDNet is up. While I have seen the odd situation where the picture "macro-blocks" (i.e., breaks up into squares - and it doesn't necessarily happen on scenes with lots of detail/motion), I haven't seen it get so bad that I get the Searching for Satellite Signal message.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
One of the many common bugs in Sony HS10's is that they blank out on bright scenes, such as the nuclear explosions in T2 or the first half of Pitch Black. The problem is weak power capacitors. If this is your problem, you can have Sony repair it, which involves replacing about three of the circuit boards (darn near all of them) and doing some soldering.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes..I have,but with a different configuration. I have a DTC-100 with its S-Video running through an ISCAN Pro..with the ISCAN Pro's RGB output running into the RGB HD input of a Philips 60PP9701.

I have the RGB output of the DTC-100 going through a Key Digital trancoder ...in turn going into the component HD input of the Philips (this configuration would be for the HD 1080 material...HBO & Channel 199)

Back to your point...while the viewing is 98% excellent..on heavy action/motion scenes in HD I see the same black screen and "searching for satellite signal" for 2/3 seconds.(you didn't mention this msg...do you get it?) Thus in my case it's not the ISCAN Pro. I believe it is HD bandwidth problems and/or the ability of the DTC-100 to decode the HD transmission.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.