AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Anyone sharing their music streamers (i.e. sonos) with their AV receiver in a surround sound setup? How are you connecting and control them?

Are you simply connecting the streamer to one of the AVR's input's and then using the streamer app for music selection and volume control, and then use the receivers IR remote or app, to change to that source and set the ambient volume

Irule would be a way of moving towards 1 app, yes?

Anyone combining their AV receiver in a surround sound setup with their streamer and a DAC/Integrated Amp?, how would that then work?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capaill  /t/1522071/anyone-sharing-their-mus...-sound-setup-what-about-control#post_24468768

Hi all,

Anyone sharing their music streamers (i.e. sonos) with their AV receiver in a surround sound setup? How are you connecting and control them?

Are you simply connecting the streamer to one of the AVR's input's and then using the streamer app for music selection and volume control, and then use the receivers IR remote or app, to change to that source and set the ambient volume

Yes, that's the only viable method to do it currently, unless...
Quote:
Irule would be a way of moving towards 1 app, yes?

Unless there's an iRule plug-in or you have it launch the app (the latter is the same hassle as different apps).

I find it not much of a hassle to control volume with my IR remote and using a tablet for selecting content. And it's much, much easier to hit mute quickly or adjust volume if it's been playing for a while (and therefore the tablet has locked and/or went back to sleep).
Quote:
Anyone combining their AV receiver in a surround sound setup with their streamer and a DAC/Integrated Amp?, how would that then work?

Not sure what you mean - an outboard DAC for the streamer? That's easy to do, but I'd suggest just using the digital output from the streamer and let your AVR handle the DAC functions as it can do everything else in the digital domain as well...

Jeff

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

regarding the DAC,

I was considering using the digital out from the streamer into a external DAC, pre amp/ power amp, for better sound, however you need to get the AVR out of the equation, but it has the left and right front speakers connected to it.

Obviously I don't want to have 2 sets of Front L/R's (one set for video, and another set for music). I read something about HT bypass but still looking into it.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capaill  /t/1522071/anyone-sharing-their-mus...-sound-setup-what-about-control#post_24469305

thanks

regarding the DAC,

I was considering using the digital out from the streamer into a external DAC, pre amp/ power amp, for better sound, however you need to get the AVR out of the equation, but it has the left and right front speakers connected to it.

Obviously I don't want to have 2 sets of Front L/R's (one set for video, and another set for music). I read something about HT bypass but still looking into it.

Why do you want the AVR out of the loop? You can set the streamer's input to "Stereo L/R" mode if that's your concern...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
by out of the loop I meant...

I want the AVR for 5.1 movies/TV, and I want a separate DAC / AMP chain for 2 channel music. However I want them both to use the front left/right speakers.

Problem is, the speakers are connected to the AVR

Music will be better quality by using a stand alone DAC/AMP

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capaill  /t/1522071/anyone-sharing-their-mus...-sound-setup-what-about-control#post_24469597

by out of the loop I meant...

I want the AVR for 5.1 movies/TV, and I want a separate DAC / AMP chain for 2 channel music. However I want them both to use the front left/right speakers.

Problem is, the speakers are connected to the AVR

Music will be better quality by using a stand alone DAC/AMP

Unless you're listening to FLAC / lossless / CD-ripped quality audio from your streamer, any audio quality differences will be masked by the low-bitrate / high compression streams.

In terms of amplifier quality - if your AVR has preamp outputs, use an outboard amp for L/R channels and keep the rest of the system simple.

But if you must, a speaker selector with a trigger or auto-sense can allow two amps to share a speaker connection (Russound, Speakercraft, Niles, etc.) Just check the amplifier power ratings on the switch.

Jeff

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, to FLAC, hence the external DAC route

I'm buy new gear so I have plenty of options,

How would the connections look for the pre amps, don't quite understand this?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
If it was me, I'd connect the streamer -> DAC -> pre-amp / AVR analog in -> amplifier -> speakers. And I'd use any AVR with pre-amp outputs and any "direct" analog settings to route the external DAC signal - not a separate pre-amp/amp setup for 2-channel. Pick a decent AVR and use an external 2-channel amp for L/R and get the best bang-for-buck. (Or just use a pre-pro and power amp for all channels)

Quite frankly I doubt there will be an audible difference in modern DACs implementations in mid-high end gear, so I would start with just the streamer to a digital input and go from there. (If there are any well-run tests showing otherwise, please point me to them!) But if you want to go the extra mile with the external DAC - the good AVRs have settings (Integra/Onkyo calls it "Direct") for straight pass-through of analog inputs to pre-amp output without mucking with them other than for volume. So should be no quality difference vs a separate pre-amp to the same amp/speaker combo.

Jeff

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor  /t/1522071/anyone-sharing-their-mus...-setup-what-about-control/0_100#post_24469724

If it was me, I'd connect the streamer -> DAC -> pre-amp / AVR analog in -> amplifier -> speakers. And I'd use any AVR with pre-amp outputs and any "direct" analog settings to route the external DAC signal - not a separate pre-amp/amp setup for 2-channel. Pick a decent AVR and use an external 2-channel amp for L/R and get the best bang-for-buck. (Or just use a pre-pro and power amp for all channels)

so if i understand correctly,

streamer to DAC, and then connect the DAC pre out to the pre-amp input on the AVR (hence using the AVR for the preamp and amp functions) ?

However I don't undertand what you mean by " And I'd use any AVR with pre-amp outputs and any "direct" analog settings to route the external DAC signal - not a separate pre-amp/amp setup for 2-channel. Pick a decent AVR and use an external 2-channel amp for L/R and get the best bang-for-buck. (Or just use a pre-pro and power amp for all channels)"

thanks

Quite frankly I doubt there will be an audible difference in modern DACs implementations in mid-high end gear, so I would start with just the streamer to a digital input and go from there. (If there are any well-run tests showing otherwise, please point me to them!) But if you want to go the extra mile with the external DAC - the good AVRs have settings (Integra/Onkyo calls it "Direct") for straight pass-through of analog inputs to pre-amp output without mucking with them other than for volume. So should be no quality difference vs a separate pre-amp to the same amp/speaker combo.

Jeff

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capaill  /t/1522071/anyone-sharing-their-mus...-sound-setup-what-about-control#post_24469795

so if i understand correctly, streamer to DAC, and then connect the DAC pre out to the pre-amp input on the AVR (hence using the AVR for the preamp and amp functions) ?

"Pre-amp in" meaning any analog audio input on the AVR. And yes, that allows you to use any of the AVR's pre-amp/amp functions.
Quote:
However I don't undertand what you mean by " And I'd use any AVR with pre-amp outputs and any "direct" analog settings to route the external DAC signal - not a separate pre-amp/amp setup for 2-channel. Pick a decent AVR and use an external 2-channel amp for L/R and get the best bang-for-buck. (Or just use a pre-pro and power amp for all channels)"

If there's a weak point in the audio chain of a modern digital setup using an AVR as the 'hub', it would be in the amplifier section of the AVR***. So given that, the solution is to use a larger/better external amp. Hence the "pre-pro" paired with multiple / multi-channel amp setups. But a very interesting, cost-effective middle ground applies those dollars to an external amp only where is matters the most - the main L/R (and perhaps center) channels used for 2-channel music and where the best speakers are connected. So in that case, you stick with the great-value-for-money AVR and utilize its built-in amps for the surround (and perhaps center) channels - used mostly for movies anyway. But for 2-channel music, in conjunction with the 'Direct' input setting, you get the best of all the above - cheap switching/pre-amp functions but excellent amp...

Emotiva has a cool 3-channel amp (XPA-3) meant for exactly this purpose:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa-3

The hardest part of doing this these days is finding an AVR with pre-amp outputs at a decent price - those connections have been removed from the entry/mid-level products.

Jeff

*** Let's leave the speakers out of this - although bang-for-buck another $100 applied to speakers is usually the right answer whenever there's more money in the budget for audio gear.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info,

lots more research and listening to be done

seems it all comes down to budget,

cheapest route is to use a decent AVR for everything, with a digital input and Direct Mode, so to skip the music audio from the streamer past DSP. Next up use the AVR for center and rears for movies, with its fronts preout into an external Amp, or Integrated amp, thus using the integrated/Ext amp for the fronts for both music and movies, or for more $$ go with a separate 2ch or m-channel pre/pro and into a 2ch or Mch Amp

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts