AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to demo a few things at Stereo Design but have never been there. Anyone know how it is? Do they offer any sort of discounts? Thanks to anyone that can help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchanjam /forum/post/15548361


I was looking to demo a few things at Stereo Design but have never been there. Anyone know how it is? Do they offer any sort of discounts? Thanks to anyone that can help.

Not to be rude, but wouldnt it be better to go there and find out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to be rude, but what was the point of that?


I am going there but a little insight about a place is nice to have before actually going.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
I've not been there myself... I usually go to Sound Company or Stereo Unlimited down on Sports Arena Blvd. S.U. has a nice selection of used vinyl(as well as some new). The crew there is good, and they have a nice selection of gear. S.C. is also nice, but the guys there can be a bit subborn with their ideas of what can and should be done...
The two places' product line-ups compliment each other nicely.

If you do get to Stereo Design, let me know what they're like, as that shop is closer to where I live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null /forum/post/15548624


I've not been there myself... I usually go to Sound Company or Stereo Unlimited down on Sports Arena Blvd. S.U. has a nice selection of used vinyl(as well as some new). The crew there is good, and they have a nice selection of gear. S.C. is also nice, but the guys there can be a bit subborn with their ideas of what can and should be done...
The two places' product line-ups compliment each other nicely.

If you do get to Stereo Design, let me know what they're like, as that shop is closer to where I live.

I do most of my shopping at Stereo Unlimited and Orval is a great guy, plus their upgrade program is very handy. I have mixed feelings about Sound Company. Their brands are nice and the guys are pretty nice and they don't put a lot of pressure on buying but their setups are pathetic and they can be a little insistent about what is best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchanjam /forum/post/15548361


I was looking to demo a few things at Stereo Design but have never been there. Anyone know how it is? Do they offer any sort of discounts? Thanks to anyone that can help.

Been there a few times, bought a cable once. Some very nice gear (including brands, such as Aerial, Era, and Wilson, that I haven't found elsewhere in SD county). During my visits, they were very friendly and relaxed about demos (they have several rooms, some for two-channel and others for HT). They'll set you up, move speakers around, hand you the remote, then leave you alone if that's what you want. They seem more like enthusiasts than hardcore salesmen. I don't know if they offer discounts; I suspect most of these stores are willing to negotiate a little, especially if you're buying a package. To me, though, their starting prices seemed high -- higher than what I've seen elsewhere and on the Internet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchanjam /forum/post/15548893


I have mixed feelings about Sound Company. Their brands are nice and the guys are pretty nice and they don't put a lot of pressure on buying but their setups are pathetic and they can be a little insistent about what is best.

I've had some odd experiences there. One guy, in particular, never recognizes me and doesn't realize he's given me the same sales pitch re: their speaker lines at least 5 or 6 times ("everyone blames the room!"). Another time, I said I wanted to listen to speakers, he asked about my amplification, then he proceeded to drag me into a demo of a prepro.


I like Stereo Unlimited. They're also very good and patient about demos (they'll move stuff around), they have some really nice gear, and they leave you alone. Another place I like for demos (because they're very accommodating and honest) is Breier Audio off I-15, but their selection is somewhat limited -- for speakers, it's pretty much McIntosh, PSB, and Phase Technology.


Some day, I plan to bug Audio Architect off these forums, because he has a lot of speakers I want to hear. But since he's by appt, and I'll be dragging him in just for me, I don't want to do it until I'm a lot closer to buying.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top