AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK back in 1999 in my parents house I bought a 5.1 system and got some Infinity Speakers for my bedroom.

RS5 Floor Standing Speakers

CC-3 Center Channel

BU-80 Subwoofer

QPS-1 Quadropole Surround Speakers

10 years later they still work fine and are hooked up to my current A/V system in my own house now. I currently run a Panny TC-P50V10 Plasma and I watch movies from my HTPC. They are all 1080P .mkv videos pushing out DTS audio to my Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K receiver. I do have a Pioneer BluRay player in my HTPC but I never use it because I pretty much refuse to buy physical media anymore. (I have a whole cabinet filled with useless DVDs now.)

This setup is in my living room and I only sit about 12' back from the TV.

My question is are these speakers out of date? Am I missing huge sound improvements that I would see from newer, better speakers? Since I don't play physical blu-ray media, is it even worth it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My BU-80 is pretty much dead. If I apply

any volume it distorts bad. The C6, and

C24 capacitors are fried, so I'm hoping

when I replace them it will work again.

I found THE fix using google, and wrote

down the info. C6-10mF 100V, C24-100nf 50V

Man I wish I could find the link again...

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm still running Infinity Speakers. I have four Infinity Compositions Prelude PF-Rs running fronts and surrounds with a Prelude PCC center. I actually had the RS-5 or the Reference 2000.6, which i believe are pretty much identical running as my surrounds before i picked up another pair of PFRs. They are pretty decent speakers and for the price you can get them now 100-200, they are pretty good. The CC3s are still admired center channels today and still command a hefty price. I've actually had all three, the CC1, CC2, and CC3, and the CC3 compared to centers i've experienced is still quite comparable.

However, the QPS-1s are trash. They were meant to pair with the Infinity Prelude PFRs but they just sucked. If you want an improvement, and keep your existing Infinity speakers, I definitely suggest looking at the Infinity Overtures, they have great value and they can be had rather cheaply. My friend just picked up a pair of Overture 2's the other day for a buck 75. You could always buy new fronts move your existing fronts to surround duty.

I'd also advise you to move on to a more powerful subwoofer. To be honest Infinity is not known for its home audio subs and the BU-80 doesn't really hit really deep or really hard and better values can be found in the internet markets.

Overall, after foraying into other brands, I've come full circle back to Infinity speakers (I've owned Micros, Primuses, Betas, Sterling) just because they've become an overlooked brand thus offering great value. Newer speakers aren't inherently better than old ones, many others will attest to that, but in fact you can find fantastic values on used speakers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 20 year old pair of Infinity Kappa 9 towers. Still plays very well driven by a pair of Denon mono blocks.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 /forum/post/18187184

I'd also advise you to move on to a more powerful subwoofer. To be honest Infinity is not known for its home audio subs and the BU-80 doesn't really hit really deep or really hard and better values can be found in the internet markets.

Any recommendations in the $150-$200

range? I really like the fact that the BU-80

was a down firing sub, and was actually

looking at the Yamaha as a replacement.

Yamaha Model: YSTSW215PN

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-...&skuId=8924391

·
Registered
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 /forum/post/18187320

Any recommendations in the $150-$200

range? I really like the fact that the BU-80

was a down firing sub, and was actually

looking at the Yamaha as a replacement.

Yamaha Model: YSTSW215PN

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Yamaha+-...&skuId=8924391

Downfiring and frontfiring are pretty similar. What i would do is just stalk audiogon and craigslist for a good deal. You can find a good deal on a SVS or HSU sub occasionally, or you can just get yourself another BU for a pretty decent price. If you can find the Infinity PS8 PS10 or PS12 for a really good price, they're absolute bargains. I actually got a PS8 from Circuit city when they were around for 70 bucks!

I would stay away from Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon subs. You're probably better off looking the subwoofer forum for this kind of advice. My advice would be: look for used, internet direct brands, such as Hsu, SVS, Elemental designs, and you can find bargains from 150-300$.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the funny thing was, when i used that built in calibration for the receiver it kept telling me to turn down the sub. i don't even have it at half power. I think for now it is OK in the 12'x12' space I have it in.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am still using RS-5s from 1999 that still sound great. I know that there are obviously better speakers out there, but I spent quite a bit of money on these back then (just out of high school) and I am still happy with them. My Entra Center is not the greatest and I am on the hunt for a newer center channel (looking for some models suggested over in the infinity primus thead). I am also on the hunt for some decent surrounds and a better sub.

·
Registered
79 Posts
1982 RS4.5s and a second system of 362s/162s/350/DJ-18. For music, I prefer the 4.5s. No sub needed.

I just got the 350 center and it is a significant upgrade over the 250.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
I have a set of Alpha 50's with a center (forgot the model) and the PS212 sub. I am retiring them as I restore my beloved Magneplanars to their proper place, but have found those Infinities aren't bad! I did have a pair of QLS-II's until about 5 or so years ago. After their initial tweeter issues were resolved (Infinity had some production issues with their EMITs back then) they were great speakers. The only thing I had to do in the 10 - 15 years I had them (after replacing a few EMITs) was get the foam surrounds replaced, which Infinity did fairly cheaply. - Don

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 /forum/post/18195277

I have a set of Alpha 50's with a center (forgot the model) and the PS212 sub. I am retiring them as I restore my beloved Magneplanars to their proper place, but have found those Infinities aren't bad! I did have a pair of QLS-II's until about 5 or so years ago. After their initial tweeter issues were resolved (Infinity had some production issues with their EMITs back then) they were great speakers. The only thing I had to do in the 10 - 15 years I had them (after replacing a few EMITs) was get the foam surrounds replaced, which Infinity did fairly cheaply. - Don

Ah, another Infinity Alpha owner! I have the 50's running stereo in my downstairs system. Sure there are better speakers out there but the Alpha's sound great. I believe the center was the 37c, which I have in my closet currently unused.

·
Registered
537 Posts
a full set of Beta's here! Beta 50 fronts, C360 center and Beta 20 rears. Sub is a PS-12.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 /forum/post/18187398

Downfiring and frontfiring are pretty similar. What i would do is just stalk audiogon and craigslist for a good deal. You can find a good deal on a SVS or HSU sub occasionally, or you can just get yourself another BU for a pretty decent price. If you can find the Infinity PS8 PS10 or PS12 for a really good price, they're absolute bargains. I actually got a PS8 from Circuit city when they were around for 70 bucks!

I would stay away from Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon subs. You're probably better off looking the subwoofer forum for this kind of advice. My advice would be: look for used, internet direct brands, such as Hsu, SVS, Elemental designs, and you can find bargains from 150-300$.

I searched Craigslist, and found an Infinity

BU-2 (12" 100w RMS) sub for $50! I've read

some reviews, and it does sound a little boomy

at times, so I'm going to mess with it, and add

some insulation in the box.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 /forum/post/18197373

I searched Craigslist, and found an Infinity

BU-2 (12" 100w RMS) sub for $50! I've read

some reviews, and it does sound a little boomy

at times, so I'm going to mess with it, and add

some insulation in the box.

Good to hear. They're a value but eventually you'll want to step it up and get some real thump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How about RS 4001 fronts RS 1001 on the side and MK VX4 sub all circa 1980. Still kickin as quasi 5.1 system. Any suggestions on a center to fit the old mans system.

lane

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder /forum/post/18196178

a full set of Beta's here! Beta 50 fronts, C360 center and Beta 20 rears. Sub is a PS-12.

same here--except I don't have the big 50s in front. Just the Beta 20s and the C360. Sub is the SW-12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 /forum/post/18187184

Agree about the BU-80 in general, but Infinity has made and continues to make some very capable subs. The R.A.B.O.S. equalization is well worth not having an elite sub from SVS or HSU, though the new Cascade looks really good if you have a fat wallet! Now, if you're talking about the Primus subs, I agree your money is better spent at the internet direct companies.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicusterrae /forum/post/0

Agree about the BU-80 in general, but Infinity has made and continues to make some very capable subs. The R.A.B.O.S. equalization is well worth not having an elite sub from SVS or HSU, though the new Cascade looks really good if you have a fat wallet! Now, if you're talking about the Primus subs, I agree your money is better spent at the internet direct companies.

The Rabos was great back in the day, but it doesn't replace proper calibration with proper software and mic. Even newer receivers and pres have eq capability to adjust your sub. However, i have noticed Infinity subs don't go very low. I've owned a couple and they've sounded great, but they never really dug into the 20hz-30hz range you really need for movies. But if you can find one for a very cheap price, they're a great value.

The cascades are going out pretty quick on ebay as harman seems to be unloading their refurb stock. The cascades didn't seem too popular among consumers. I mostly saw them at Fry's Electronics, but i'm sure they didn't move too many of those things. They sounded pretty good when I heard it, but i believe Infinity was more after a form factor than superb performance.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I used to have some infinity speakers. I sold them a few years back and to this day I still miss them so much.

I have pictures of them in my gallery ("My humble former system" link in my sig)

Unfortunately, I only have on good room to work with and it is set up as a dedicated theater. I really need a music room again.

1 - 20 of 375 Posts