AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little projector never really got that much attention even when it was released.

I gotta tell you, I am still very very impressed with my little DX3. My HTPC is a P-3 1GHz with an ATI Radeon using the DVI output. I project onto a 10' wide Dalite Model-C matte-white screen.

I have mine tweaked out with a Blue Circle BC-84 power conditioner, Harmonic Tech Pro-AC11 power cord, and 2 Bybee devices soldered inline at the power cord end.

The contrast, black-level, and detail impresses me every time I watch it ! Do not ignore clean power going to your projector !

And one of these days, I will get my Panamorph installed which has been sitting in a box for the 2 months since I first played with it. I am one of the LUCKY DOGS who got one !

- Andy

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been using my DX3 with a 900 MHz PIII, GeForce2 MX, DVI cable and 16x9 100" GreyHawk microperf screen for a little more than half a year. On the plus side, detail is superb and I notice no crawlies, rainbows, screen-door or other artifacts and the unit is very small and light. On the minus side, black levels are only decent, red is slightly orangy, color saturation could be better, and the DX3, although relatively quiet for a projector is still quite audible.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi David,

I achieved a noticable improvement my switching from my Geforce2 to an ATI Radeon with DVI. The DVI output is also slightly better than the VGA output. I use WinDVD 2.3.

I find the black levels are really good. I used to have an Epson 710C XGA LCD, and also demo'd an LP350 at home. Maybe it's all my power tweaks that are helping out with the blacks and contrast.

I agree that the colours are not the truest, but is of moinor issue to me. It's only when I see a friend's G11 that I know what I am missing !

- Andy

·
Registered
860 Posts
Due to Andy, I think I got the Proxima DX3 thru the same fella on Ebay.

I still love my Projector even today. Had it for almost a year now.

However, I still have a strange effect that the brightness will drop about 5-10% periodically, then sometimes, it will pop back up. Anyone encouter this with their DX3?

If this needs servicing, According to my DX3 warranty, Proxima will send me a replacement proj so that I can use it in the interim, while the other is bing replaced.

Anyone have to resort to this yet?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Here we go ! Loyal DX3 user since September 2000 (Klutzo should remember me well). 1600 hours on the bulb. New bulb already at home

Major tweaks:

Power Conditioner APC Basic

DVI input from Radeon VE

VGA input from G400 DH

Gray painted projection wall

Pros

Excellent brightness

Fairly good black level

low rainbow effect (at least on me)

Cons

tearing over 60 Hz refresh

poor internal scaler

noisy (at least mine)

Random sporadic flickering on brightness (very rare)

The PJ absolutely need an external scaler or HTPC, on DVI input it gives his best out, VGA has some polarity sync issues on some boards.

Generally i'm quite satisfied with this PJ, my upgrade plan is to wait for a 1280 x 720 or 1368 x 1024 PJ with RGBRGB colorwheel with a reasonable price. I think i will keep my DX3 for a long time .... :D

bye

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes.. I am quite happy with mine, and Yes I DO remember you Dubmaster! I'm not quite at as many hours as you... but Hehehe.. And I've had mine since Almost exactly last year!

Boxing Day 2000!

Hmm. so Dub you get that sporadic brightness thing too.. minorly annoying, but it's there noetheless...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am using my DX-3 in conjunction with a DVDO Pro. Every so often, when there is a diagonal pan on th escreen, I get a scanline that runs from the bottom to the top. I have contacted and worked directly with Silicon Image on this issue and it points to the DX3 firmware and re-sync. I cannot get a response from Proxima about this issue and they will not tell me any plans for new firmware. I have also asked for the code for the service menu and manual to try to get the sync to be a bit better and play with the colors a bit more. Does anyone out there have the code and manual?

In general, though, I am very pleased with my purchase. I bought it a year ago to tied me over until the true HDTV (16:9) ready DLPs became available. It appears almost time to act..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am using my DX-3 in conjunction with a DVDO Pro. Every so often, when there is a diagonal pan on th escreen, I get a scanline that runs from the bottom to the top. I have contacted and worked directly with Silicon Image on this issue and it points to the DX3 firmware and re-sync. I cannot get a response from Proxima about this issue and they will not tell me any plans for new firmware. I have also asked for the code for the service menu and manual to try to get the sync to be a bit better and play with the colors a bit more. Does anyone out there have the code and manual?

In general, though, I am very pleased with my purchase. I bought it a year ago to tied me over until the true HDTV (16:9) ready DLPs became available. It appears almost time to act..

·
Registered
860 Posts
Nope.. don't get the vertical, or horizontal scrolls, just the occasional drop in brightness, then a return to full brightness shortly after...

Mildly annoying.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I wondered if someone succeded in opening a DX3.

I tried some weeks ago and after unscrewing all the screw i found some resistance and i didn't trust forcing the two shells to divide.

I wanted to clean the fans and also inspect if something touched the blades, the rear fan has become noisier with time.

I already cleaned the intake filters but only from the outside, i also used compressed air (with caution), i suggest to clean it every 400 hours.

bye

·
Registered
860 Posts
Haven't shorn up enough courage to open mine yet... Dont' really want to with the 3 year warranty... yet.. but I probably will after the Warranty period is over... =>

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to hear some responses.

I have never had a brightness dropout, though I only have 300 hours on mine.

I recently downgraded my CPU from a P3-1000 to a P3-866. I now notice some WinDVD arctifacts ( tearing ) that were not there before. I have a P4-1.7 GHz lying around in parts and will try to get it installed over the holidays ... along with my Panamorph that is gathering dust on the floor.

- Andy

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have to reanimate this thread to pose an important question.

What is the service code in the menu ?

Has anyone unlocked the menu ?

Maybe gamma calibration stays hidden behind a secret service menu, i'm gonna do a search on usenet also about this.

bye

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.