AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I uninstalled all codecs then installed the ones from shark.

On the MKV tab the only thing checked is "Use LAV's splitter"

I keep getting an error on the xbox 360 that it cannot play the file or the file is corrupted.

I tried multiple movies from media browser. They all play fine on the HTPC but not the 360.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/0

The xbox sucks as a media streamer. Buy a WDTV Live or a device similar.

WDTV will work as a media extender?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have learned to give up on the Xbox if you are attempting to stream anything of good quality (aka 1080 with DTS at a nominal bitrate of 10,000-15,000 kbps)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
360 cannot work with the bitrate of 1080p MKVs and it can only natively support AC3 audio (it's possible the shark codecs could have a process to transcode non-AC3 audio to 2.1 PCM).

Unless you are using a cable card with copy protected content, it's usually better just to build another HTPC with 7MC. It can take some work to get Media Browser watched states and DVR content shared, but it is doable and works well once setup.

If you use a network tuner, such as SiliconDust HDHomeRun, then you can dynamically share tuners over the network and don't have to run a coax to the second HTPC and install a tuner on it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/0

360 cannot work with the bitrate of 1080p MKVs and it can only natively support AC3 audio (it's possible the shark codecs could have a process to transcode non-AC3 audio to 2.1 PCM).

Ok then what's an alternative format other than MKV for ripping Blu Rays that will stream fine to the xbox with minimal quality loss?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
WMV would be best - a native format Xbox uses. For whatever reason, it can officially support a higher bitrate in WMV, about 13-15Mbps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
convert it to wmc tv recorded format and you can't use high bit rate sound do or use the dts sound track and your good.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've had good luck using shark007 and 10-15,000kbs MKV's. The key (for me anyways) is to get a good gigabit switch; preferably one that you can enable flow control on (I also have it on for my NIC).

MKV's with DTS only tracks DO play fine - however, I'm connected just to TV and no AVR at those locations so can't speak to if it's just outputting 2.1 or not. I don't think it's "officially" supported, but does work.

I use a HP 1810G-24port switch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts