AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still struggling with eyestrain watching my mits 62725. its been 14 days and I am still on the fence about returning it.

I really like the thing but I think its going to have to go.

I was wondering if others have switched from dlp to a lcd and why.

Also, any lcd tv owners get eyestrain at times when watching dvds? (my eyestrain issue is mainly when watching dvds)

·
Registered
203 Posts
No eye strain from the LCD Rear Projection. Main reason I didn't go with the DLP was for fear of my wife start seeing the "rainbow" effect in DLP. Though I hear newer generations of DLP are starting to do better.

The Mits that you have, does it have a built-in tuner with CableCard? Just asking, because our cable company mentioned to me that they've had problems with getting their card to work in the Mits...but no problem with Sony. I'm just wondering if it's our cable comapny or the actually a problem with the brand.

-Bryan

·
Registered
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BryanSD
No eye strain from the LCD Rear Projection. Main reason I didn't go with the DLP was for fear of my wife start seeing the "rainbow" effect in DLP. Though I hear newer generations of DLP are starting to do better.

-Bryan
You too!! I was seriously looking at the Mitsubishi 725, but didn't want to hear or worry about rainbows or eye strain from my wife either so I went with the Sony 55WF.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by racer521

Also, any lcd tv owners get eyestrain at times when watching dvds? (my eyestrain issue is mainly when watching dvds)
I had some the first day I have my tv and I was concerned at first, but I have not had any eye strain issues after the 1st day.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
I am still struggling with eyestrain watching my mits 62725. its been 14 days and I am still on the fence about returning it.

You can get eyestrain from watching a LCD tv. The brighter the display the greater the chance of suffering eyestrain.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just switched out a Visio 56" DLP for a Sony 55WF655. My main reasons was too many rainbows watching DVD's on the DLP, really takes me out of the moment. I never suffered eye strain or headaches. My understanding regarding eye strain is that you should not watch TV in a totally dark room, although many people enjoy that. I think it is a matter of the contrast between the bright screen and dark surroundings. I usually watch with about 30% ambient lighting.

The downside of the LCD so far is a softer picture that the DLP had. The DLP was razor sharp. I am hoping with some break-in time and an Avia calibration I can improve that.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
Certainly, same reason, I see those raibow flashes all the time, not moving my head but just blinking or during fast motion scenes e.g flicker of flame, and it does not bother much

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had a Samsung 5085 (pedistal model) for about 3 weeks, and had to return it because of rainbow issues. Otherwise, I loved it. I bought a Sony 50WE655 yesterday, and am not really impressed since I got it home. There doesn't seem to be any differentiation between darker colors and black. I would have preferred the WF series, but my room won't support anything bigger than a 50".

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jojoxl

[B...I bought a Sony 50WE655 yesterday, and am not really impressed since I got it home. There doesn't seem to be any differentiation between darker colors and black. I would have preferred the WF series, but my room won't support anything bigger than a 50". [/b]
I ended up with a 42 inch for the same reason...I wanted to make sure I didn't get a screen size that overwhelmed the room. This thread so far hasn't really focused on picture quality, but I think it does point out that choosing your set is more than just about picture quality. I really think that in the area of projection...both DLP PQ and LCD PQ have matured to the point that you really can't go wrong in choosing either.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
same here!!I was 4 , 5685 but rainbows, screen made me switch to sony lcd xs955, 60 inch!

but i know i wont stop here, my ultimate is 1080p capable 70 inch set or atleast 65 inch.

CES will be time when I get to hear! What do I do interim? I am not happy with Samsung HLN5065.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jojoxl
I had a Samsung 5085 (pedistal model) for about 3 weeks, and had to return it because of rainbow issues. Otherwise, I loved it. I bought a Sony 50WE655 yesterday, and am not really impressed since I got it home. There doesn't seem to be any differentiation between darker colors and black. I would have preferred the WF series, but my room won't support anything bigger than a 50".
Take a look at the Hitachi 810

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Quote:

I had a Samsung HLP5063W for about a week. I hated it. The picture was not very sharp on any source. Any object that didn't fill a large area of the screen was a bit fuzzy. The sharpness control on these TV's has NO effect on sharpness. I too felt eye strain watching DVD's. I found myself blinking a lot, and feeling like I needed new eyeglasses. I also saw the irritaing rainbows frequently. I am amazed that people brag about these TV's. They are very mediocre for the price. I really wanted the Sony 50 inch liquid crystal all along, but tried the Samsung because it fits in exisiting entertainment cabinet. I went back to Circuit City and got the Sony 42 inch to compare to the Samsung in my home. The Sony Grand Wega III basically blew the Samsung DLP away! Far sharper, and more detailed images..especially on HD shows. No eyestrain, or rainbows either. The ONLY area the Samsung was better in was redering dark scenes. I had 6 other people 'vote' for the TV's in my home, and all 6 preferred the Sony greatly. Now I wish someone would make a 50 inch LCD TV that fits in my cabinet. For now I am keeping the 42 inch Sony till something better comes along in 3 years or so.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ad10ad
Take a look at the Hitachi 810
That's if you can tolerate the 5" sheet (sarcastic) of shiny glass in front of the nice picture. I can't.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I got my Mits 52725 about 10 days ago. The first couple of days I suffered from severe headaches after about 1 hour of watching, and could see rainbows. Then I got the AVIA disk and calibrated my unit, and now I do not get any headaches (watched about 8 hours yesterday). Also the rainbows have reduced greatly.

I just wish the set had day/night settings so that I could put different settings for bright day and dark night viewing.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I returned the Mits 52725 DLP and traded it in for a Sony GIV LCD. I had headaches, glare, and eyestrain. I get NONE of the problems with my LCD, and am so glad I traded it in... !!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.