AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone? live concerts require very high quality blacks and contrast especially, a nightmare for LCD.

I guess the LT150 with a high power Dalite could do well.

thanks.

disclosure: looking to get this LT150 or the LT150Z (his replacement, with zoom and focus)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Santana's Supernatural and Framptons latest DVD look great.

The Santana is especially colorfull. These looked great right out of the box with an interlaced Toshiba 2109 DVD player using S Video and a homemade screen (80 x 60) with a sheet from Walmart. I was amazed at how good this looked. I was prepared for the worst

I have since upgraded to a breakout cable to use the component inputs of the projector and it is better that way.

I am still evaluating screen sample swatches before I buy.

First post by the way. I've been lurking and learning for a while though.

Steve

·
Registered
733 Posts
When my Dell LT150 arrived the first ting I put on was Supernatural using my Toshiba 5109 with Da-lite Hipower and nothing, and I mean nothing, calibrated (white segment left on) and did I get a surprise - it looked great! Since then I click the white segment on or off depending on the quality of the transfer. The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc. all look great. Check out Ron Woods' cloak in Bridges to see how "black" measures up. There are some scenes in Eric Clapton & Friends in Concert that are 3 dimensional in appearance - good transfer and some great sounds - crank it up!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'll add John Fogerty's Premonition to that list.

He is dressed in a black shirt and jeans. Awesome disc!

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

[This message has been edited by Lou Sytsma (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
It is easy to do patches of black on an overall brighter image (somebody's cloak or pants etc.) The trick is when the image is primarily black with some lighter areas, such as hotspots from spotlights.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Wow, this is great to hear that video based stuff looks good. Now remember that "looks good" is a relative term. there are those here who think it will look terrible. I, for one, plan to enjoy it. I can't wait to get my LT150. Alot of the fun is concert and video based DVD's. And don't forget Cirque Du Soleil DVD's, they are great, although I think they are mostly film based, except for some scenes on Drallion with the multi-angle function. And I can't wait to see IMAX DVD's, but they are film (70mm) based.

·
Registered
855 Posts
OK Jim - the background is dark and there are spotlights used as well. The background is actually a miniswamp with a little cabin and simulated fog. The picture clarity is stellar.

My original post was misleading and unclear.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys

indeed, Frampton rules!! his Live in Detroit is stunning, video and audio.

I happen to have seen this dvd (just bought it) twice on a SONY G90 with a Faroudja and the picture was... well, Peter was RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!! I wonder how close the LT150 with the right screen and an HTPC can approach that reality, which is less essential (up to such level of reality) with dvds of movies.
http://a95.g.akamaitech.net/f/95/578...ages/79249.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.