AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to hear some volt 8s and they are awesome. Super clear, however they have zero bass. Not even sure how they are rated as low as they are lol. The speakers I just built use the rs225 8” in about 1.5cubic feet tuned to 23hz. The bass is delicious lol. That bass mixed with a volt 8 Would be crazy. But there are massive sensitivity differences. I know a subwoofer would be the easy answer but I’m liking full range speakers more and more. I had fusion 10s and I think the volt 8s sounded better as far as clarity.

I dunno, just thinking and dreaming of the perfect speaker lol

·
Registered
3,695 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,873 Posts
I know a subwoofer would be the easy answer but I’m liking full range speakers more and more. I had fusion 10s and I think the volt 8s sounded better as far as clarity.

Not sure what you're proposing; how is a woofer below the Volt not a subwoofer?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know a subwoofer would be the easy answer but I’️m liking full range speakers more and more. I had fusion 10s and I think the volt 8s sounded better as far as clarity.

Not sure what you're proposing; how is a woofer below the Volt not a subwoofer?
The rs225 is rated 25-2400hz. So it’s not a subwoofer but more a woofer that can dig deep. I envision a tower with the volt 8 and compression driver at tweeter height with a rs225 below it in a separate chamber tuned to 23hz.

I’d like to make it happen but I’m not that knowledable on crossover design to know how to make it work lol.

Edit- I meant a separate powered subwoofer in my original post.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The rs225 is rated 25-2400hz. So it’s not a subwoofer but more a woofer that can dig deep. I envision a tower with the volt 8 and compression driver at tweeter height with a rs225 below it in a separate chamber tuned to 23hz.

I’d like to make it happen but I’m not that knowledable on crossover design to know how to make it work lol.

How about the vortex 15?

Chris

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rs225 is rated 25-2400hz. So it’️s not a subwoofer but more a woofer that can dig deep. I envision a tower with the volt 8 and compression driver at tweeter height with a rs225 below it in a separate chamber tuned to 23hz.

I’️d like to make it happen but I’️m not that knowledable on crossover design to know how to make it work lol.

How about the vortex 15?

Chris
The dual 8s would be a bit easier to place into a room. And the vortex 15 still can’t do what the rs225s can do on the low end. I was watching oblivion and don’t even miss an active subwoofer. There are a million options other than this, but I just think it would rock and basically the top and bottom designs are already perfected. But not sure they would play well together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The dual 8s would be a bit easier to place into a room. And the vortex 15 still can’t do what the rs225s can do on the low end. I was watching oblivion and don’t even miss an active subwoofer. There are a million options other than this, but I just think it would rock and basically the top and bottom designs are already perfected. But not sure they would play well together.
You want to add a woofer for more bass, but you don't miss a subwoofer?

Get a real subwoofer and you will understand why you needed it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys have me confused with someone else. I have 8 12s in 16 cubic feet on a behringer 6000dsp in my theater, it’s been enough that I don’t even look at sub builds anymore and I had a tapped horn. This is for a simple 2 channel full range setup that just requires a amp and 2 sets of speaker cables. No outlets, no subwoofer cable. Trust me the 8” rs225s pump out better and lower bass than subwoofers that come with sound bars, and probably a few prefab 10” subs. From a guy with 8 12s, saying I don’t miss the subs with these rs225s should tell you the bass is pretty damn good lol. Those are the sunflow redux speakers. The top end is good but I think a volt 8 handling the top end would make for a very clear full range speaker

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Without adding a separate amp and a MiniDSP or something similar to set up a crossover for the 8" rs225s, you'd have to figure out at least a basic passive crossover for them. Which, I'm sure you know, can get complicated quickly if done right.

I do like your idea though. I think the Volt-8's sound amazing!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I have 8 12s in 16 cubic feet on a behringer 6000dsp in my theater, it’s been enough that I don’t even look at sub builds anymore
Lucky you. My room would laugh at 8 JBL 12. It took 4 21s and 2 24s to begin to pressurize my room.

·
Registered
28,820 Posts
You guys have me confused with someone else. I have 8 12s in 16 cubic feet on a behringer 6000dsp in my theater, it’s been enough that I don’t even look at sub builds anymore and I had a tapped horn. This is for a simple 2 channel full range setup that just requires a amp and 2 sets of speaker cables. No outlets, no subwoofer cable. Trust me the 8” rs225s pump out better and lower bass than subwoofers that come with sound bars, and probably a few prefab 10” subs. From a guy with 8 12s, saying I don’t miss the subs with these rs225s should tell you the bass is pretty damn good lol. Those are the sunflow redux speakers. The top end is good but I think a volt 8 handling the top end would make for a very clear full range speaker
My ported Volt-8 atmos speakers measure -3db below 80Hz. I just cross over to my subs at 80hz.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lucky you. My room would laugh at 8 JBL 12. It took 4 21s and 2 24s to begin to pressurize my room.

Yea something can be said for smaller rooms lol.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
just build two subs and put it under the volts, use pro drivers so it can be close sensitivity wise.
Thats what I am leaning towards, like def tech does with some speakers. I just dont want to mess with powering anything but a receiver. I thought maybe bi amping would work well here. Put the tweeter on its own crossover and then the "mid" which would be the 8" volt driver, and "low" which would be the rs225. Not sure if that would be possible? I dunno, need to get a better understanding about crossovers. Or I need money to pay people to do this lol.

·
Registered
28,820 Posts
Thats what I am leaning towards, like def tech does with some speakers. I just dont want to mess with powering anything but a receiver. I thought maybe bi amping would work well here. Put the tweeter on its own crossover and then the "mid" which would be the 8" volt driver, and "low" which would be the rs225. Not sure if that would be possible? I dunno, need to get a better understanding about crossovers. Or I need money to pay people to do this lol.
Two small subs, an amp and a miniDSP2x4 and you can easily make a pair of Volt-8's 3-way speakers.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two small subs, an amp and a miniDSP2x4 and you can easily make a pair of Volt-8's 3-way speakers.
How would you do that? Run the receivers amp channel to the volts, and the pre outs of the same channel to the minidsp? Then do the crossover in the minidsp for the lows, run that to the amp and then to the bass cabinet/rs225? Then try to volume match everything between the receiver and seperate amp gain?

Perhaps a behringer 1000dsp would take care of that pretty easy instead of using the minidsp with an amp. Would have to figure out what frequency to bring the lows into it. Its still not as easy as a 3 way passive crossover hooked up to a reciever, but it sure would be easier to figure out!

·
Registered
28,820 Posts
How would you do that? Run the receivers amp channel to the volts, and the pre outs of the same channel to the minidsp? Then do the crossover in the minidsp for the lows, run that to the amp and then to the bass cabinet/rs225? Then try to volume match everything between the receiver and seperate amp gain?

Perhaps a behringer 1000dsp would take care of that pretty easy instead of using the minidsp with an amp. Would have to figure out what frequency to bring the lows into it. Its still not as easy as a 3 way passive crossover hooked up to a reciever, but it sure would be easier to figure out!
Sorry, forgot, you would need two two channel amps or a four channel amp. The MiniDSP offers more adjustments than the Behringer.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I guess at that point it’s probably better to just use a ultimax 8 or something and a Dsp amp on both.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts