AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice now so many DVD's are Anamorphic Widescreen or the 2.35:1 ratio.. Its weird to not see many 16:9 1.85: 1 Dvds any more.. So any thinkin maybe a projector company will do a Anamorphic Widescreen Projector?

CHris

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I don't think so. Remember, there's always HDTV. If you want anamorphic, do it like the theaters do, get a lense.

-phil

·
Registered
356 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean by anamorphic projectors. If a projector is widescreen as many are now. They already know how to unsqueeze the picture. Remember that 16:9 non-anamorphic DVD´s will still show black bars on a 16:9 projector.

Ian

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I was thinking about this before I bought my projector a long time ago. I got a 16:9 proj for a couple of reasons - I mostly watch HD and DVD on it, a little 4:3. Now, as you say more movies are 2.35. So I have bars on the sides for 4:3, full for 1.85 & bars on the top for 2.35.

Thought about getting a lens to streach like those with 4:3 proj do for 1.85 - but not sure if this would work.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
ramick,

a 4:3 -> 16:9 like the original panamorph or the ISCO will make a 16:9 native projector image into 2.35:1.

-phil

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PhilB
a 4:3 -> 16:9 like the original panamorph or the ISCO will make a 16:9 native projector image into 2.35:1.
I just did the math, I never suspected. (4/3)^3 = 2.37, which is pretty darn close. As (4/3)^2 is 1.77, adding an anamorphic lens meant for 4:3 to 16:9 conversion goes the rest of the way, well, 1% too far, but I bet that the abberations caused by any anamorphic lens would be more significant than that.

What sort of videoprocessor can output a properly formatted signal for such an arrangement? Does it take into account that the vertical position isn't the same between all DVDs?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
That may be possible to zoom out/in?

Has anyone tried this - having a 16:9 proj and adding a lens to get 2.35:1 for that source mat?

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Quote:
What sort of videoprocessor can output a properly formatted signal for such an arrangement
An HTPC or a Rock+ immediately come to mind.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vern Dias
An HTPC or a Rock+ immediately come to mind.
One thing I am puzzling with is what software is used to force the change in aspect ratio and to crop out the black bars?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Aspect Ratio control is built into both the TheaterTek SW DVD player and Zoom Player front end...

HTPC rules in configurability at the expense of complexity...

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
re: "Anyone think that there will ever be a Anamorphic Widescreen Projector?"

Yes- it's called the PLV60/13HD. ;)

I have owned both a Panamorph P752 and an ISCO2. I tried these lenses with my previous XGA LCD projector, a Mits X100.

IMHO, the results I get with the PLV60 are superior.

I feed a progessive, anamorphic 1024x768p image to the PLV60 from a HTPC. The PLV60's "Full" mode then does the anamorphic horizontal stretch digitally, the same thing a commercial cinema or ISCO2 does optically.

Since the HTPC does the digital-domain de-interlacing and scaling to 768p, and since the PLV60's scaler is well regarded and is only scaling in the x-direction, this approach gives me a "digital domain ISCO2" :).

Yes, I could feed a 1360x768 signal from the PC, and I probably will once I get the pixel-perfect timings at 1360x768 worked out. I have pixel-perfect aligment in 1024x768 mode in the center of the PLV60 LCD panel now, so using the PLV60 "Full" mode for a "digital ISCO2" is a great solution for simplicity and quick changes from XGA gaming to DVD movies (one resolution does-it-all) :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rgb
re: "Anyone think that there will ever be a Anamorphic Widescreen Projector?"

Yes- it's called the PLV60/13HD. ;)

Actually, the orignial poster was asking for a 2.35:1 projector, not a 1.85:1 projector.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.