AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone out there has tried to image (using ghost or another drive image utility) the original drive from the UTV box and bring the image down to a new drive?? Be nice to keep recordings...but not a big deal. Waiting for my new drive to arrive before I can try it...

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is my understanding that the only Hard Drives that work with the UltimateTV are compliant with an obscure IDE security setting. Some Western Digital drives support this "feature" and are the only ones that work as replacement/upgrade drives for the UltimateTV.

My point is that security password protects the drive at the IDE controller level and when a password is set the drive doesn't appear to a foreign computer's bios so imaging wouldn't work any better than direct access.

The locked drives can be erased and then removed before a new security password is set and I'm sure you can find information about that in the forum.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmark2
My point is that security password protects the drive at the IDE controller level and when a password is set the drive doesn't appear to a foreign computer's bios so imaging wouldn't work any better than direct access.
I know there are ways around this. I believe the "swap" method works. That is, let the UTV unlock the drive, then move the drive to a PC without powering it down.

I don't think anyone has figured out a way to keep recordings when upgrading the drive. It's probably not as simple as copying the raw bits. Some understanding of the file system would be necessary, since you'd need to resize it for the new disk.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The hardware locks you out. You would have to get past the controller, possibly by surgery on the drive itself (move the platters to another unit). Since the unlock command has to be combined with an erase (done as a single ide command - and the unlock is not done until the erase finishes) there is no way known to access the data w/o the passwords and nobody has cracked that yet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
watch out when you start discussing this stuff here. the admins don't like it. =/ but there is lots of progress in understanding the utv and keeping your previous recordings when upgrading a drive is a goal

but to answer the initial question yes people have tried imaging/reading UTV drive. i posted a method of accessing the drive on this forum(swap method). imaging the drive is not needed to keep your previous recordings. extraction of the DVR partition files off the drive would be needed. you would also have to extract their descriptions off the Browser partition. then upgrade the harddrive. after the upgrade simple hook the new harddrive up to a computer and using the same swap method. copy the recordings back over to the new DVR partition with cluster sizes based on the new drive. that would be the process. only problem i see right now is putings the recording back on the new drive there is no tool for that. everything else is possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.