AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The seating distance in my living room/home theater is about 14'. The effective range of most wireless keyboards/mice on the market is about 6-8'. I've been trying to find a combo that works similar to my wireless console controllers with a 25-40' effective range.

Until recently it looked like my options were limited to Microsoft's Bluetooth combo, but now I've found the Memorex RF6000 (and soon, RF7000) which purport a 30' effective range. Has anyone tried these, specifically for gaming such as first-person shooters? If so, what's your take on them?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hooked it up on my dad's htpc and we found that it was extremely limited range-wise. It seemed to only like input coming from the same height as the receiver.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I'd let everyone know that I tried out the Memorex RF6000 this weekend since CompUSA was running a pretty reasonable special on it. As Petey_S notes, it doesn't really work too well for anything over 6-8'.

I returned it yesterday and picked up the Gyration Ultra Cordless Optical Suite which works flawlessly from a 14-15' seating distance. I'm able to play hair-trigger first person shooters with no problems at all. The air mouse feature is also cool, but since I'm primarily using my HTPC as a gaming console, the normal mouse operation is much more interesting to me. Also, the color and form factor is perfect for a home theater environment.

If you're looking for a good HTPC wireless keyboard/mouse, this is the one to get!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
SCWElls,

Thanks for the input, I've always had problems with RF keyboards/mice due to interference but the Gyration product looks to be well built.

I'm probably going to buy one today! Thanks for pointing it out!

Obsidience

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just became a Gyration fan over the weekend. I picked up an open box off eBay for less than Retail pricing, even with $10 shipping&handling. It works quite well, except when driving the car in GTA III (not Vice City) with the Keyboard, if I use the space bar to pull the emergancy brake for rear slide turns, while steering left or right with each respective arrow key and still applying the throttle key, I lose steering or throttle quite often. I have to reapply the correct key to get the steering or throttle back. In the meantime I may have crashed into something unnecessarily causing damage to my car.

When walking around with all guns using the "guns guns guns" cheat, and using the mouse to move my character, I don't have any issues, so it appears to be an issue with having more than two keys down at the same time. For normal web surfing from the couch, the Gyration is great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.