AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fan on my cpu is supposedly 31 dB according to the specs, but I measured it with my SPL meter and it was 59 dB which is exactly what it sounded like.

Do the quietpc products live up to their posted specs?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have purcahsed their 300 watt psu which has quieted my pc considerably. I just ordered their cpu flower cooler and mobo cooler. I will let you know in a couple days.

-Chris

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just bought three of the 12db rated Pabst fans. Already have an Enermax whisper PS that I am disappointed with. Also have a flower cooler on order. In a few days, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Scottk,

I also have an Enermax Whisper PS, and was disappointed with the level of noise. However, to quiet it down I disconnected the larger/noisy 92MM fan (leaving the 80MM intact). This dropped the noise level considerably.

I've been running it this way for about 6 months with no problems.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have used several of the QuietPC products and they are ... OK. The Zalman flower heat sink/fan combos are not the best coolers, but are about $20 cheaper than the Silverado fans that I prefer for my AMD system. The QuietPC products that do make a difference IMHO are the GPU and Northbridge heatsinks that get rid of those horrible whiny little fans. The hard drive enclosures they sell are also pretty effective, if you have the room in your case and can't afford a Seagate Barracuda HD. Unfortunately, PCs are inherently noisy, and the more you try to quiet them, the more the residual noise bothers you. There are terrific water-cooling kits you can get for $100-200 that get rid of all the fans (except the PS), but I just can't bring myself to put that into my HTPC that lives in the same cabinet with all my other components ...

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have used several of the QuietPC products and they are ... OK. The Zalman flower heat sink/fan combos are not the best coolers, but are about $20 cheaper than the Silverado fans that I prefer for my AMD system. The QuietPC products that do make a difference IMHO are the GPU and Northbridge heatsinks that get rid of those horrible whiny little fans. The hard drive enclosures they sell are also pretty effective, if you have the room in your case and can't afford a Seagate Barracuda HD. Unfortunately, PCs are inherently noisy, and the more you try to quiet them, the more the residual noise bothers you. There are terrific water-cooling kits you can get for $100-200 that get rid of all the fans (except the PS), but I just can't bring myself to put that into my HTPC that lives in the same cabinet with all my other components ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
How about the performance of the Athlon "flower" cooler? I currently have only two fans in my system, the power supply fan and CPU fan, with the CPU fan being the noisiest of the two. I have no overclocking inclinations and I'm only interested in a quiet CPU fan for an Athlon 1.4Ghz CPU.

Is the "flower" cooler significantly quieter than most cpu HS/Fan combos out there?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___It is not like we haven’t discussed this same type question hundreds of times in regards to the Quiet PC products or products to cool our HTPC’s down while at the same time being inaudible. Quiet PC’s products are mostly rebadged HW that performs rather poorly if thermal performance is something you desire along with a more quiet solution. The only 2 items I can say work well is the Zalman passive HS’s for the 7500’s and the Zalman 300 W PS. The rest of the HW is suspect at best. This HW can be quiet but there are less costly solutions that are years ahead of the cooling capabilities presented.

___So what do you want, a Cooler or fan that is only adequate, is louder than other solutions, and costs more or something that is thermally more efficient, costs less, and is even quieter? Silverado’s … Sheesshhh …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
875 Posts
I ordered the 300w power supply and I've very happy with it, I also ordered two case fans 80 and 92mm, and right now the loudest things in my system are my Maxtor liquid bearing drives (total disappointment) and the DVD Rom.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Wayne:

Please excuse my ignorance but what other solution are you reffering too. I would love another route that is more thermally efficient and more quiet.

-Chris

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Mane3215:

___What are you planning on running/cooling silently? If it’s a std. 32 MB DDR AGP or PCI based Radeon, pull the plug on the fan and you will be fine at stock clocks. If it’s a 7500 series Radeon, the Zalman works great. If it’s a PS, the Antec PP-303 XP is as quiet as the Zalman and just as powerful as well as much less expensive. The Antec runs my youngests 1.7 GHz T-Bird whereas the Zalman is currently powering up this 2.4 GHz P4. The latest Enermax 350 Watters have also been fixed to slow the temp controlled fans down to a whisper as they should have been in the first place. There are many mods you can perform but the easiest on the old ones is to move the temp sensor off the HS’s own internal wiring and back into the air stream. I have yet to try the newest Antec True Power 330’s with their Quiet Technology but that is another possible choice at

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Wayne. Allot of info there. I am getting the dign case on the power buy and will be temp running a slot a 750 thunderbird but probably switching over to a xp1900 after I upgrade my current system. I unfortunately just bought the quiet pc psu, flower cooler, and mb cooler. I will def give your techniques a try as I have 3 other computers around here to silence up.

Thanks...

-Chris

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just recieved my quiet fan from quiet pc today. I hooked it up and the difference is HUGE. I highly recommend getting one of the zalman fan although not through quietpc because it seems as they seem to be quite expensive compared to other places.

I was previously running a Volcano 6 with a 5000 rpm cooler and I was getting like 65 dB on the spl meter. With this new larger fan running at 1500 rpm it doesn't even register on the spl which means I have had at least a drop of over 15 dB although it is definitely higher.

Temps before: 42c at idle, 51c full load

Temps after: 49 c idle, 54c full load

Volume drop: priceless

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was advised that the 80 mm 4 wire version is (or at least was?) a Papst brand fan. These are by far the best for noise:flow characteristics I've come across. When you look at the design of these fans, the quality shows through features such as sharp leading and trailing edges, smooth fan blade surfaces and tapering of the blades at the end to help reduce tip vortices. These sorts of things help to quieten the product significantly while maintaining flow. I have Papst fans throughout my PC case (1500 RPM 8412 N2GL) but I bought them from a different supplier at a reduced price. I do have a SilentDrive from QuietPC and I think this is worthwhile. The VGA heatsink would have been worthwhile also except it was too much of a tight squeeze to fit to my ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Originally posted by xcel

Hi Mane3215:

… I have not had enough time with the GeForce 4’s with the elaborate memory and core cooling HS’s to give a good solution.

check out Tom's Hardware... they've got a GF4 roundup there right now. the jist of the article is that the memory doesn't need cooling (a few models come without any mem cooling solution) and even the core doesn't need the elaborate setups. marketing is funny. tom's did the nice thing of measuring the dBA of the GPU fans as well and listing them all for your pleasure.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Gg_YF21:

___Yes, I am sure most enthusiasts have read Tom’s review … Even the lowest dB output Abit board in that roundup at 30 dB with an acoustically insulated setup is too loud for an HTPC …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Wayne,

With regards to cooling a Radeon 32DDR. You stated in an earlier response that I could just unplug the fan and it would still have adequate cooling. Would I be better off using an old Pentium 200 heatsink I have laying around?

Thanks.

Gary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.