AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie trying to create an HT in a homeschool room. I'd like to use the 48"x96" glass dry-erase board as a front-projection screen, but can find little info on the Web as to how this might be possible for a DIYer.

I looked into the Planar X-Screen and found a technical document that shows their use of a Lexan graphic film for the projection surface. I contacted the manufacturer of the film, and the tech support person told me that some customers have laminated it on glass and used it as a dry-erase board, but they didn't have any testing to demonstrate its durability in that application. They also were unaware that anyone was using it as a video projection surface.

Since I understand that laminating the film on the rear side of the glass will still leave me with the problem of the 1/4" glass' reflectivity on the front surface, I don't know of any other option but to try to use it with dry-erase markers and see how it goes.

Anyone have any experience or insights into the possible effectiveness of the Lexan film for video projection, as well as any thoughts on a dual-use solution that would accommodate the dry-erase markers? (I'm assuming replacing the glass with frosted or etched glass wouldn't work as a dry-erase surface, either.)

Thanks --

Chris

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
When I saw your subject line, I had to laugh cuz it reminded me of the "bad-old days" (when I was still working) where every meeting room had a dry-erase board, and every one of these was something of a mess because someone would use a pen from an easel (with permanent ink, not dry erase) and make a mark that was near-impossible to clean-up. But I digress.

The key will be a surface that cleans-up well (perfectly, actually, or you'll notice marks & streaks on movie playback) but doesn't hotspot. I'd think standard dry-erase surfaces will hotspot like crazy.

I did a Google search on "dry-erase whiteboard material movie screen" and came-up with a lot of hits so it appears this can be done. Look at this for example:

http://www.ibsav.com.au/ksm/admin/ed..._300DPI_07.pdf

An Aussie site, but similar must be available elsewhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link, Laserfan. I checked it out, but this looks like a whiteboard that stores digitally the content written on the board, not one that serves as a video projection surface. But a neat idea - wouldn't be surprised if it caught on here in the States.

Your point about the surface cleaning up well is well-taken -- I hadn't even thought of hotspots. Glass, of course, cleans up better than any other dry-erase surface. But if I cover it with a Lexan film or anything else, then I'm reliant on the new substrate to erase cleanly. I guess I'll need to get a sample of this material and test it out. But even if it appears to clean well, for how long ... ?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cregis /forum/post/15534150

...the link...looks like a whiteboard that stores digitally the content written on the board...

Sorry, I guess I didn't look at it closely enough. But there were plenty of other links via Google that did indeed do what you are looking for, like here:

http://www.ergoindemand.com/whiteboa...ion-screen.htm

"whiteboard surface that does it all! This marker board surface is designed with a light grey, low gloss surface to create an excellent LCD projection surface you can also write on. Uses dry erase markers, but if one day someone accidentally uses a permanent marker, it can be cleaned off this board. Plus, it's porcelain steel so you can attach additional material to the board using magnets."

May not come in the exact size you want, but someone somewhere's gotta be able to make you one! Hmmm, wait, 4'x8', about $425...

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know if doesn't fit your scenario, cregis; but the material that would probably work best, as both a dry-erase board and a screen, would be a sheet of Designer White laminate. We know it works well as a screen, but I don't know how well it would take (or rather let you remove) the dry-erase marker.

I don't know where you are located, but if it is in the western portion of the U.S., go to your local home improvement center and look for a sheet-good called 'Do-able'. It is cheap, makes a good screen and might work as a dry-erase board too. It is WAY cheaper than the DW laminate.

The screen you mentioned works by being retro-reflective like road paint and reflective safety clothing. I don't know for sure, but I doubt the lexan film you mention is the cause of this retro-reflectivity.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can speak to standard glass-type dry erase boards used for projection systems, as you'll see them in business meetings all over the place - I've never in my life seen hot-spotting as bad as it gets with dry-erase boards. It's seriously bad. Maybe a retractable screen mounted over the dry erase board?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Harpmaker, Laserfan, and Luma -- great information and a lot to chew on.

I may be best off by leaving the glass board as it is now and using a different wall for the screen, maybe painted with the Behr screen paint. Which would mean, off to peruse the hundreds of postings about that subject ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.