AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to sling HD HBO while I'm in Germany.Is this watchable?Or too much bandwith to be "slingworthy" yeah,I just made that word up!

·
Registered
25 Posts
it is watchable but as regular tv channel, it is in letter box format but with same resolution as regular channel

·
Registered
239 Posts
bobnoone,

At present, the Slingbox only encodes standard-definition video. So you will be able to watch HBO, but you'll be watching the SD version, not the HD version.

Have you already connected your Slingbox to your set-top box?

Best,

Jeremy

·
Registered
346 Posts
To go into more detail, the Slingbox's highest resolution input is S-video. There's no way to get HD into the Slingbox at all. I have mine connected to a 3250HD cable box so that I can watch the HD channels but they are all downconverted to standard resolution and letterboxed. The results are excellent for the Slingbox but realize that broadcast/cable/satellite standard definition TV is going to be higher resolution than the Slingbox can provide even at it's highest bandwidth. An HD slingbox wouldn't really be practical. The 1920x1080 WMVHD bitrate is about 9Mbps and WMVHD is very tightly compressed indeed. That would take one heck of a 'net connection to be able to stream that and the hardware needed to encode that stream would likely be two orders of magnitude more expensive than our beloved Slingbox. HD encoding ain't cheap, yet. Then again, five years ago neither was SD encoding!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.