AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth doing? My computer now will probably only be able to play Doom3 at 800x600 res, and since my X1 only does that, I was wondering if it would be worth my time to hook it up to it? Is it too dark/too hard to see on an X1? I'd rather wait 3-6 months until I get a new vid card and Doom3 can be had for $20-$30, but if you guys think it will impress me on my X1 at 800x600 I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
give us some detail on your pc specs,,but the short answer is it is worth it. It is a very dark game, but you are likely used to watchng movies in the dark anyway. The brightness settings inside the game make a big difference and will help a great deal. Maybe pick up a copy of FarCry first. That is a phenomenal game and equally impressive graphically. It's also mostly bright and will wow your friends immensely.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The main reason I've held off running Doom3 through my Sammy 61" and optical into the Onkyo 6.1 sound system is high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc. The thing that makes your situation worse is that with a projector you would have to play with the lights off! :)

Go ahead man "sweep the minefield" for us but keep the nitro and defibrilator handy! (man the game is scary with 5.1 enabled but it does lose it's charm after awhile)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually, I tried Doom3 on my X1 just the other night - it played fine, I had no problems at all. Come to think of it, I usually run the game at 1024x768, and I don't think I changed it to 800x600, but the X1 scaled it just fine. (Obviously, setting it at 800x600 would be the way to go for best performance - like you said, since the X1 doesn't go higher anyway, you won't gain anything at higher rez.) Anyways, no problems to report. Playing it in the dark at 2 AM on an 85" screen made me jump several times. Let me know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.