AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what anyone knows of the Philips DVD724AT. The product page on their website mentions both "Mediamatics frame by frame 3:2 pulldown compensation" and the "12 Bit / 54 Megahertz Faroudja Processing Chip FLI2200". Might be an interesting combination if true. Could this be a no Chroma Bug, Zooming , Good Video Deinterlacing machine? Would it still have the poor film mode detection performance that an all mediametrics player would have ?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Aaron,

Interesting observations! - hopefully not mis-prints though.

I remember looking at some Mediamatics chip design block diagrams a long time ago, but can't remember which functions in the chip family can be brought out and used separately.

Getting access to the Mediamatics decoding and scaling while at the same time using Sage deinterlacing with 12bit/54MHz DAC's could produce a good unit, all things being equal. Use of both MM and S chips should not be that expensive for the parts count.

·
Registered
226 Posts
the problem with scaling is that there is no good way to do it before[i/] deinterlacing. That's why players that use the MM chip for scaling convert to progressive and then back to interlaced for interlaced output.

It would seem to me that going I->P->I (MM) then I->P (Sage) just to get scaling + Sage deinterlacing would be a recipe for artifacts, but practically speaking I couldn't tell the difference in interlaced output between the new (MM-based) JVC S500bk and a Panny RA-60

·
Registered
675 Posts
Perhaps but

(a) it does not appear to be available in black &

(b) look at logo below power switch in bottom left corner. It says Dolby Digital. Note that it does not have a DTS next to it ! Actually I cheated - you probably can't make this out from the photo posted above, but I have verified this in person.

Does this mean that it really doen't support DTS ?

Brent

·
Registered
226 Posts
the logo in the bottom left corner is the cd audio logo, not a dolby digital one...

no dvd player made in the past 2 years is unable to pass a DTS bitstream, so there's no reason to assume this one would be any different

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The Philips 724 is available at Walmart. It can pass both DD5.1 and DTS5.1 as both logos are indeed on the front of the unit.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Compusa also has the 724 instock. I am tempted to pickup one up, but I hate to spend the money for you guys again. :) I went out and purchased the Samsung last week and I am running out of places to put these things.

If it is possible to make region free, then it would be a nice alternative to the Malata for transcoding PAL to NTSC.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt DeVillier
the logo in the bottom left corner is the cd audio logo, not a dolby digital one...
Damn. I hate being wrong. There is enough misinformation on the web without me adding to it. I was going from memory and have been looking at so many DVD players lately that I could well be mistaken. I will need to go back and verify on the particular units I looked at (but this probably won't happen till Monday).

But I am still (reasonably) sure that somewhere on the Q50 I saw both DD and DTS logos whereas on the 724 I could only find DD. Why would the 724 not say DTS if it does in fact support it ?

FWIW, my current player, a Philips 711 interlaced has "dts DIGITAL OUT" and "DOLBY DIGITAL" logos right on the face plate. And, this has nothing to do with decoding as it just has optical and coax outputs, not analog.

Brent

·
Registered
226 Posts
well I picked one of these up to test it out, $158 from walmart. The zoom is just your standard 2x/4x zoom, no resizing of letterboxed or 4x3 material for 16x9 sets that lock in full. I'm trying to see if it can be hacked for mutli-region capability, but I need to figure out how to do it with my remote first. I'll post back when I figure it out

edit: the standard RC6 code + 222 222 005 255 + play didn't work for me, as it nver gave me the dashes after entering the RC6 code. anyone else try yet?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Brent, I have the one tiny step up brother to your DVD player, the DVD 712. Mine has 3 channel anaolog out, R, L, and Sub

·
Registered
226 Posts
then they need to update their web page, which currently reads:

DVD Progressive Scan:

With 12 Bit / 54 Megahertz Faroudja Processing Chip FLI2200. Picture is more stable, sharper, clearer and has no perceptible interline flicker.

no sage + no region-free hack = returning to walmart :(

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also gave one a 'quick try' over the weekend. Not very impressed. In general , I thought the picture was very soft. The zoom wouldnt do anything for a letterboxed movie when in widescreen, progresssive mode. A brief look at the snell and wilcox test on the VE disc looked like it didnt go into film mode for the first portion. It didnt seem to do anything great on the VE waving flag scene.

On the plus side, The tray openning response was the best I've encountered (compared to my sony '700P and the Pana RP-91, LOL), it didnt have the 'chroma bug' , nor did it flicker.

I will admit it was a very brief evalualtion, so feel free to disagree

·
Registered
675 Posts
OK, I havn't totally lost it yet after all. Below is a composite of some faceplate pictures of the 724 (upper left) and Q50 (zoomed in upper right and full width in bottom) that I took today.

http://home1.gte.net/res0zzi1/HTS/ph..._q50_logos.jpg

As I stated earlier, DD but no DTS logo on the 724. It is apparent that the particular 724 that I saw has a different face plate than the one in the Huey's post (good eye Matt !) and also from a physical unit that Steve saw in Walmart.

My take on what this means - Nothing except that there are a bunch of cosmetically different prototypes/early manufacturing units out there. Also, if we just went by logos it would seem that the Q50 does not support Compact Disc !

The no Sage is the deal breaker for me.

Brent

·
Registered
13 Posts
I called philips about the Sage chip and they told me that it was not in the 724. I wish they were wrong, but it's not listed in the specs, on the box, or on the unit. Oh well. It would have been nice.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Diseaseboy
Anyone know what chip the Philips uses? I should have checked, but what is Walmart's return policy?
It uses the Medimatics Pantera II 2 (which is both an MPEG decoder and deinterlacer). You can return dvd players to walmart within 45 days, as long as you have all the original packing materials and your receipt. mine went back within a week =P

·
Registered
4 Posts
...a NASTY flickering bug. You will see it any time the scene is dark and mainly black. A good reference is the opening sequence of Mulholland Drive. Ick. That scene was the last straw for me, I took the RP56 back and got the Tosh SD3750 instead.

John

·
Registered
20 Posts
I opened up the DVD724 and it has an ESS Videodrive ES6028F. Are there any reviews of this player? Is it any good? How is the progressive scan output? How is the interlaced output? does it have the chroma bug?

BTW, I also opened up a much cheaper Samsung DVD-P421 and guess what I found... A Sage FLI2200 inside. The Samsung doesn't claim DCDi anywhere.. but there it was..... Anyone interested open it up and take a look. The mpeg decoder is the C-Cube Ziva-4.1. Again, I can't find any serious info on this player.. chroma bug.. how good is the output... if anyone can point me to a review that would be nice.

However the P421 has a nasty problem.. somewhere... either the mpeg decoder or the dvd drive.. sucks... It produces horrid artificats or sometimes refused to play and freezes on lightly scratched discs... when other dvd players like the DVD724AT play fine. Really annoying problem. I wish I could have kept the samsung, but that problem finally driven me nuts. So now I'm looking around for another unit. Currently looking at DVD724AT and an RCA DRC350N.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.