AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I posted and I couldn't find anything on this, but has anyone tried this Asus MB? Seems to be Asus' answer to Gigabyte's 780G launch MB. Has firewire, esata, hdmi and even DisplayPort and ECC memory support which makes me happy

It even has more features than their M3A78-EMH and M3A78-VM and M3A78-PRO boards which is very confusing.

I'm particularly interested in how it does in Linux, how stable it is, and how much audio support the displayport/hdmi ports have...

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...52&modelmenu=1

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been using the Asus M3A-H/HDMI with great results. Plays BluRay great. Also using a Hauppauge HD PVR to archive things off the HD box. Those you mentioned plus my model all have the AMD 780G chipset, which has been out for a bit. Not sure on the Linux side of things though.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp /forum/post/14270343

Is the Asus board any better than the Gigabyte board?

The Gigabyte boards usually have more features (like FireWire and eSATA) so you get more for your money. Both are good brands. Initially Gigabyte and most mATX sized 780G boards didn't officially support the 125 Watt AMD processors (9850 BE). Some of the ASUS ones, like mine which is ATX though, do. The new Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H looks like a nice board as it has 128MB built in for the on-board memory plus it supports the 125 Watt proccessors. If I was buying a board now I'd either wait for the 790GX , Link#2 ones right around the corner (~1-2 months) or get the GA-MA78GPM-DS2H.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goobered: this board actually has firewire and esata as well in case you're looking at that for the Gigabyte board. In addition, it'll handle the 140W AMD processors.

kimocal: Are there any microATX 790GX boards? The only one I know of is the DFI and they said it'd be released in mid-august or so they claim. It seems like it takes forever for boards to be available after a chip launch (the 6150, 7150, 780G) unless it's a launch-partner company like Gigabyte which seems to have the market to itself for at least 1-2 months...

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyee /forum/post/14274286

kimocal: Are there any microATX 790GX boards? The only one I know of is the DFI and they said it'd be released in mid-august or so they claim. It seems like it takes forever for boards to be available after a chip launch (the 6150, 7150, 780G) unless it's a launch-partner company like Gigabyte which seems to have the market to itself for at least 1-2 months...

Not sure yet. I haven't seen anything while perusing online. My guess there will be a couple companies eventually.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Thanks. I'm just going to wait on the 790 then. I have Gigabyte's 780 mtx, which is working flawlessly. But, I'm curious about the new one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just purchased this board and a Phenom 9850 Black Edition Processor and I was wondering how this board is. I've always been heasitent to buy micro ATX boards because they always seem cheap to me. Am I just parinoid or would you guys consider these boards to be up par with say the M3A-H even though its a smaller form factor? Please let me know what your thoughts on this board is. I've always owned a full size ATX board and this is my first time.

Anything I should watch out for on this board? Things to disable? Oh and just one more question how good does this board Overclock these Phenom Chips?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
You'd better avoid overclocking without a proper cooling of the MOSFET/PWM area ( Overclocking or Overcooking? ).

Disable Express Gate in BIOS before installing Vista.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking at this board and thinking about pairing a Brisbane CPU with it. But then I seen that there's a claim that you need a Phenom CPU to do BlueRay HD.

Anyone know this to be true? Just looking to control cost somewhat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I tried playing BluRay under XP with a single-core socket 939 4000+, and that mostly worked but the image broke up in complex scenes, so I wasn't that happy with it. I haven't tried an x2 CPU; rather, I got the M3A78-EM + Phenom x3 8750 Black Edition for $170 total and set it up with XP Home. On my first try, it worked well playing BluRay Iron Man. I tried some transcoding and got 100% usage of all 3 cores with mencoder; CPU temp topped out at 62C using the included cooler.

Overall, I'm pleased with the quality and features of the M3A78-EM (I also worry about uATX boards being lower quality). I have not yet tried out the SPDIF output; I saw a post about it only supporting 2 channels, but if that's true, I'll just pick up a Turtle Beach Riviera card, which apparently also has good Linux support. The Phenom/M3A78-EM seems to be working fine under Ubuntu 10.8 as well.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/14807850

You'd better avoid overclocking without a proper cooling of the MOSFET/PWM area ( Overclocking or Overcooking? ).

Disable Express Gate in BIOS before installing Vista.

I did not disable Expressgate and wasted two weeks trying to figure out why Vista would not boot.

Listen up!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post here. Hello everyone and happy newyear!

I just bought this asus board for a entertainment pc. Games and tv plus music. My question is will it do games like call of duty and crysis as well as everything else I am wanting? I plan to use the spdif opticle to my home stereo unit as well as use my FTA satelight card...oh and play mp3s and surf the web. I am useing this processor. Its all being shipped today from newegg.

AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+

125W Quad-Core Processor Model HD985ZXAGHBOX - Retail

What do you all think of the board...will I be happy? I hope so.

Jay

Vancouver Washington

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought this motherboard and am having trouble getting it to play Blu-ray's properly. I am using Arcsoft TMT and it plays when set to software, but is jumpy. If I set it to hardware then the screen goes green, then I get the BSoD. An ATI file causes the crash. It's obviously a driver issue, but can someone help me figure out what I need to update? I've tried the latest ones from ATI's site but they have the same issue as the manuf. ones. I'm used to Nvidia cards and with those I know I have to install PureVideo to make the hardware decoder work, does ATI have anything similar? Thanks.

Setup:

Asus M3A78-EM, AMD x2 5200, 2 GB RAM, LG BD drive

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, I resolved my own issue. For anyone else with the same problem, don't use the latest drivers (Catalyst 9.1). I went back a few revisions to Catalyst 8.9 and everything works great! Blu-ray now plays fine with hardware acceleration.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts