AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired Superbit version of Fifth element, Air Force One and Desperado. The thing I can tell right away is that the DTS sound track sounds great. Especially in Fifth Element. Any other HTPC users have superbit dvd's and what are your impressions?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
That's the first thing i noticed when i played Air Force One, the audio is indeed excellent in either DD or DTS. The audio track definitely contains more "resolution" so to speak.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kewl

How about PQ? Same or better or ???

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
I just fired up SuperBit Fifth Element on

my HTPC (Radeon [email protected] Cineplayer 4)

and thought the PQ was excellent.

They start out with a columbia/tristar logo

that is all pixelated then blends into the

normal logo and some text about superbit

(with no "Special Features" I guess they

decided to do some tricks with the intro

logos).

Anyways the movie looked better than anything

else (other than 1080i HDTV) that I can recall

playing on my PC. I don't know if the datarate

explains it or the fact they they seemed to

have gone to some trouble to make a really

"clean" transfer. I think they must have done

some computer "clean up" to remove film artifacts

from the image because it looked really clean...

I couldn't see any "film grain" like I can

with some other good transfers.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The picture detail is definitely improved significantly in the SuperBit version of 5th Element; this is the best looking DVD picture I've ever seen on my system. Also, blacks are also blacker due to less compression artificacts, which gives the picture more punch and 3d-ness. If you're a fan of this movie, it's worth the purchase even if you already have the original release (like I do). 5th Element has always been one of my reference/demo discs, and is even more so now.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I asked the same question before in a previous thread./

I defenetly noteced a big deference in sound qualety, but the video I wasn't sure if it was the DVI's connections on my system that generated the most spetacular picture. but now I have my douts, becouse every movie I play in my HTPC that has good trasfer looks amaizing. Rick

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Has anybody experienced HTPC glitches on these DVDs? Presumably, since they're a higher average bit-rate, they may have more glitches on lower-powered machines.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I recently purchased the Crouching Tiger Superbit and am very pleased with it. More detail, higher clarity, better audio. I guess I need to get 5th Element, now.

Watching this then watching Star Wars TPM really illustrates the poorer quality (IMO) of most of this Star Wars dvd.

Heck, I can't help smiling listening to the impressive DTS logo. :D Ahh, simple pleasures.

I experienced no glitches in one complete viewing, however I have a PIII, 1GHz, Radeon 64MB.

slobbie

·
Registered
276 Posts
I too have the SPB of 5th E and CTHD. Actually I now have 3 versions of 5th E. The original Region 1 release, the superior Region 2 dual layer release, and the even better Super bit release. As for CTHD, I have the original R3 release, and I always thought that and the original R1 release looked terrible. The Superbit goes a long way towards righting those wrongs. Finer details are better rendered on these new versions, and I for one am happy to forego extra features if I get better image and sound. After all, who gives a flying **** about SPOTLIGHT ON LOCATION?

I am happy Superbit has arrived. I hope to see more. Dracula is my next SB purchase

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I would agree with Craig. I always thought that they put the features on there to fill up space. I never knew they could have filled up the DVD with the feature itself. More and more DVDs are coming in double sided or dual disc sets, so why not SuperBit.

It'd be nice if they would figure this out before I buy another 180 DVDs. That dude at Best Buy should have told me about this instead of offering me rebates and service plans. :)

One of the biggest marketing items on DVDs is the high quality video and sound. These days I guess that it is not the biggest feature consumers are looking at however. So who missed the superbit idea all this time. Did they plan this ahead of time, or did some guy just get a promotion for finding another way to milk us?

Oh, and as far as Star Wars PM is concerned, this is probably the true opposite of SuperBit. I suppose it is hard to incorporate all of the computer graphics and maintain great PQ, but my god, this is not the best DVD to look at. It's better PQ than Terminator but we all know when that was made. The Star Wars does sound good to me, I'll give them that. I just can't get the words to match with Gladiator.:) "Mes thinks me name is Aurelius."

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I agree it would be nice to see more discs with this level of picture quality. Unfortunatley I don't see it happening anytime too soon. Sad truth is that most people are watching DVD's on 32" or smaller 4:3 analog TV's, and I bet you the Superbit versions look pretty much identical on those sets. Until more people actually have equipment that can show the difference in quality, this is a pretty small niche market.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Angeli662
The ploblem with Croutching Tiger is in Superbit you dont have a choice of watching dubbed in English.I watched the Fifth Element although buatefull trasfer the move itself ( 2 tumbs down)
I actually prefer the Mandarin soundtrack anyway, so this wasn't a big deal for me (I'd rather read subtitles than be distracted by questionable dub acting from some of the secondary performers), but it is too bad they couldn't fit both English and Mandarin on. Or perhaps offer both versions. I believe the Superbits policy, though, is to go with the original language.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Apparently, the Superbit version of CTHD was originally meant to *only* have the English dub (in both DD and DTS). A lot of potential buyers were unhappy about that, so I guess they changed their mind and went with the Mandarin track instead (praise be!).

If you're upset about the disc not including an English soundtrack... well, you're in the minority. :)

-Bon

·
Registered
112 Posts
"There's no difference between dubbing a different language and panning & scanning a movie. It's altering the original film. That's not what Superbit is about. "

And spraying someone else's translated version of the dialogue across the screen isn't altering the original film? I'm afraid we'll all have to learn Mandarin if we really want to experience the film as it was intended.

I also prefer the subtitles, but I have several friends who feel they were able to 'see more of' the movie without having to process the subtitles through their eyes as well.

-

Steve

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
And spraying someone else's translated version of the dialogue across the screen isn't altering the original film? I'm afraid we'll all have to learn Mandarin if we really want to experience the film as it was intended.
Good point... but in my opinion, the subs are a damn sight closer to the "intended experience" than a dub.

As far as the translation goes... this film screened in many places around the world with English subtitles (the same ones as on the DVD, I assume). Ang Lee is English-educated, to my knowledge, and one of the screenwriters (James Schamus) is primarily English-speaking AFAIK. I wouldn't be surprised if the film-makers did the English translation themselves. And even if they didn't, I doubt they'd allow the film to screen with a sub-par translation.

Quote:
I also prefer the subtitles, but I have several friends who feel they were able to 'see more of' the movie without having to process the subtitles through their eyes as well.
Well, I can see why some people might find that to be so. However, I find that subtitles 'disappear' once you get absorbed into the plot. In CTHD specifically, the dialogue was fairly 'slow,' so you get time to read the subtitles and allow the visuals to sink in.

Anyway, this is definitely getting a bit off-topic now... :) If anyone's interested in a dubbed version of this film, I'm fairly certain Columbia will continue to sell the non-Superbit edition... so that's probably your best shot.

-Bon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.