AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Wireworld 5.2 flat HDMI cables really interest me as the new design is said to reduce jitter that supposedly HDMI suffers from. The new flat cable design is said to also reduce strain on the HDMI connectors.

Has anyone had any experience with these cables? I am particularly interested in the Ultraviolet and Silver Starlight models.

They are expensive and I am not sure they are worth the cost. I have an expensive Harmonic Technology HDMI cable and don't notice a difference between it and the $10 Monoprice HDMI.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio /forum/post/10605163

The new Wireworld 5.2 flat HDMI cables really interest me as the new design is said to reduce jitter that supposedly HDMI suffers from. The new flat cable design is said to also reduce strain on the HDMI connectors.

Has anyone had any experience with these cables? I am particularly interested in the Ultraviolet and Silver Starlight models.

They are expensive and I am not sure they are worth the cost. I have an expensive Harmonic Technology HDMI cable and don't notice a difference between it and the $10 Monoprice HDMI.

Thanks in advance.

I just noticed your thread.

For you info., I have ordered and will receive Wireworld's Ultraviolet 6 next week to do some testing. After that, I will be getting Wireworld's Platinum Starlight (transfer rate up to 21 Gbits per second), $1500.00 for 6 ft.

I have tested so far

Audioquest Chocolate, $150.00

Audioquest Carbon, $250.00

Monster THX Ultimate 1000, $150.00

I hope to get in Audioquest Diamond with 72yDBS (which is 100% silver), $1400.00 for 6 ft.

I have been testing the above HDMIs against Monoprice's cat 2, 1.3 HDMI, $3.04

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Jitter is not normally a problem in HDMI expect at long cable lengths. And if it's a problem you will notice significant artifacts (sparkles, lines, etc.) in the picture.

As has been stated numerous times in this forum, if an HDMI cable works without any obvious picture artifacts, then it is working perfectly. There is no subtle degradation of a digital signal.

$1500 for an HDMI cable is ridiculous and a compete waste of money. At 6' virtually any HDMI cable will work perfectly for any present HDMI signal rates.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow /forum/post/18956580

Jitter is not normally a problem in HDMI expect at long cable lengths. And if it's a problem you will notice significant artifacts (sparkles, lines, etc.) in the picture.

As has been stated numerous times in this forum, if an HDMI cable works without any obvious picture artifacts, then it is working perfectly. There is no subtle degradation of a digital signal.

$1500 for an HDMI cable is ridiculous and a compete waste of money. At 6' virtually any HDMI cable will work perfectly for any present HDMI signal rates.

I know and agree with you 100% BUT when you have tons of free time, always trying to improve PQ, then why not play with HDMI cable and have fun.

PLUS, I have noticed a small difference between HDMI cables. After I finally finishing playing and make sure what I see is consistent, I'll post my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw /forum/post/18957134

PLUS, I have noticed a small difference between HDMI cables. After I finally finishing playing and make sure what I see is consistent, I'll post my thoughts.

If you notice a small difference (whatever that is) you are likely deluding yourself, since HDMI does not have small differences in the displayed picture from different cables. The only valid way to determine the difference, if any, is with a blind test. You have someone else change the cables in random sequence, and don't tell you which it is. Only after numerous comparisons with different cables, with the same material, such as from a BluRay disk, can you make a valid judgment.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw /forum/post/18957134

trying to improve PQ...why not play with HDMI cable...

Because it is a complete waste of time if you don't have sparkles or worse. Your time would be better spent learning about how HDMI works.

·
Registered
556 Posts
In case anyone is interested:

I happen to have a nifty little device from Quantum Data--it contains HDMI receive and send circuits, and can do an image-comparison test on an HDMI cable. What it does is generate frames of video at various data rates (the highest being about 6.75 Gbps total--1080p at 12 bit color depth) and send the data down the cable, then measure the signal at the output end of the cable and do a pixel-by-pixel comparison, resulting in an error report. Any pixel at the output that doesn't match the pixel sent results in an error and is reported.

What this means is that one can obtain a completely OBJECTIVE cable comparison--no need to guess and fret and squint. If two cables report no errors at any bitrate, then (within the 6.75 Gbps limit, anyhow) the two are completely identical in performance, period; any observed difference has to be in the realm of suggestion, imagination, that sort of thing.

Anyone who is comparing a $1500 HDMI cable with a $3 HDMI cable is welcome to send them both to me. I'll run the test, I'll photograph the report screens and e-mail it back to you. All I would ask is that you send me a return shipping label so that I can send your cables back to you on your dime.

Now, what I can tell you is that at short lengths, every cable I have ever tested has had a perfect report. That means, of course, that while a $1500 cable can be as good as a properly-functioning $3 cable, it can't be "better" than it, at least in terms of a result that your display can detect or render.

At greater lengths, of course, interesting things start to happen, and I'll be doing some writeups on that eventually.

On "jitter": what crutschow says is exactly right. Jitter exists in all digital communications, and as long as it is within limits, it has no impact on anything. Once jitter becomes severe, it will cause data loss, and when that happens you'll see typical HDMI failure modes: "sparkles," line dropouts, flashing/jumping, or no picture. Jitter will not, and by the nature of the thing cannot, cause subtle changes in image quality such as loss of shadow detail, changes in brightness, contrast, et cetera--jitter is just one of the various things which, collectively, can cause data loss.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.