AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent price drops I am considering upgrading my AE900. I have been considering the Z5 but have concerns with screendoor. I have a very large screen (133" High Power) and my primary seating is about 13.5 feet.

Has anyone gone this route and what are your impressions?

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty144 /forum/post/0

With the recent price drops I am considering upgrading my AE900. I have been considering the Z5 but have concerns with screendoor. I have a very large screen (133" High Power) and my primary seating is about 13.5 feet.

Has anyone gone this route and what are your impressions?

I recently purchased the Z5 and have a DW 120" 1.25 gain diag. with a 19` ft. throw and a seating distance of between 14` & 16`ft. SDE is not evident to my eyes even in white images until around 6` to 7`Ft. Excellent PQ so far with less then 50hrs. on the lamp.

With the recent rebates being offered on the Epson 1080p Home Cinema I would seriously consider it due to your screen size. It would have been a better performer in my case also.

Can you increase your seating distance a few more feet? You would IMO benefit in PQ more & specifically with a 1080P unit.

http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

Regards,

·
Registered
920 Posts
There is nothing wrong with 1080P but the price is still high, who wouldnt want a 1080p projector instead of a 720p one? All things being equal that is.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, 1080P would be nice. But a Z5 can be had quite cheap here now in Canada.

I am just looking for more sharpness without sacrificing seeing screendoor. I love my 900 but I am reminded how much sharpness I lose when I watch my LCD tv in the bedroom.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'd hold off. The 900 is a great projector. I don't think the Z5 is enough of an upgrade to justify the cost. Hold off for a while and you'll be able to pick up a 1080P projector for the same amount of money.

Jim

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty144 /forum/post/0

Yes, 1080P would be nice. But a Z5 can be had quite cheap here now in Canada.

I am just looking for more sharpness without sacrificing seeing screendoor. I love my 900 but I am reminded how much sharpness I lose when I watch my LCD tv in the bedroom.

I sold my 900 a couple of weeks ago, mostly because of substantial bulb dimming (after 950 hours), but also because I'd like more sharpness. I've been considering the Z5 also, but things like screendoor and not too impressive brightness have held me back. I then came across the Epson TW700 (810) which is better than the new Panasonic AX100 (in brightness, sharpness, black levels, contrast), doesn't have its problem rate, but yes, also has more screendoor. The screendoor is supposedly less than on the Z5, though. And I've been told that, at least from a seating distance of around 1.2 times the screenwidth, screendoor isn't an issue anymore with this PJ. Now, I don't know what the Epson costs in Canada, but maybe it's something to consider. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this particular PJ, myself.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Stick with you 900, I just upgraded to an ISF calibrated Z5 and not even that much of an upgrade over my own calibrated Z3. Really disapointed. Need to go to an RS1.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts