AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My three 5K's that were all hooked up via wired ethernet to a buffalo router got zapped via lightning. All three lost there ethernet ports and the buffalo router died also, all the same day, and after a thunderstorm, so I assume it was lightning.

MikeyBoy fixed one of them for me, so now I have to send him the other 2.

I bought a Belkin Pre-N router for its amazing range, and it also apparently has faster transfer speed wirelessly. But I dont see any products from them other than the Pre-N router and a notebook card.

Is anyone using a Belkin Pre-N router to wirelessly connect their replays?

Will it work with the Buffalo bridges?

No hits with a search of the forum.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
243 Posts
We use these at work and have been very impressed. I bought two to cover 10,000 sq ft on 1.5 floors from, and it turns out I pretty much get 97%+ signal quality from the units at both ends of the building all the time.

However, almost all of the benefit to these is only to be had by using the matching card and router. Since the 108Mb IEEE spec is not yet finished (802.11n I think, hence "pre-n"), pretty much every manufacturer putting out 108Mb equipment has their own way of getting there. The upshot is that to get the range and speed increase you have to have matched pairs of devices. Anybodys g compatible cards will work, but only at 54Mb max and at much less range (still a little better than a plain 54Mb router)

So unfortunately, using one of these to talk to a Buffalo bridge you probably won't see much of any of that range or speed improvement. I know these have an "access point" non-router mode, but I don'k know if they support bridging. If they do you could reap the full benefit by using two of these same routers.

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.