AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to get a new HItachi TV. I currently have a Sony t60 DTivo which I love. I was considering purchasing a separate high-def ird and switching between the two depending on the content, etc... Anyone else do this? I have heard of the HD Tivo coming out, but, I don't want to pay $999 for it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
If you get one of the new HD STBs, like the HTL-HD, they output a SD signal all the time on the composite output (non-HD). You can connect your TIVO there.

Look in the other HTL-HD threads, they discuss how to do it with the HTL-HD. Since I'm not a TIVO owner, I can't give you the specific details on how to do it, but the information is there.

- Claus

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just had the D* HD Package Deal for $99 installed.

I also have the SAT-T60 TiVO and didn't want to replace it with the HD receiver.

The installer had to run two additional lines to the HD Receiver - one for the Sat. Dish and the other for the HD OTA antenna.

This is in addition to the two exsisting lines that feed the two tuner TiVO.

At some point I will replace the TiVO with a future generation HD capable version but for now I just use the TiVO for the recorded stuff and then use the new HD Reciever for both HD and D* program viewing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In one room of my house I use the Sat-T60 and a Sony HD 200 on the same set. You just need two inputs of the right kind on your tv but you need three leads from your satellite dish, two for the Sat-T60 and one for your HD receiver. This setup comes in very handy when my daughter is recording shows on the tivo as I still have the HD 200 to use.

Jay

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanls for the replies.

JOtteman,

What inputs on the tv would be the right kind? Your setup is exactly what I plan on using. I was going to wait, but, in reading some other threads it seems like DTV is going to add CBS-HD and Fox fairly soon.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
What inputs on the tv would be the right kind?
Component, DVI or HDMI for the HD video and composite or S-video for the D-Tivo. I use a Hughes E-86 and a Hughes D-Tivo on a Mitsubishi WS-55411.

Quote:
it seems like DTV is going to add CBS-HD and Fox fairly soon
But do you qualify to receive them? Based on my location, I will be able to get Fox but not CBS.

-Robert

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. I understand the connections.

Yes, I qualify to get them.

How is the guide speed on the Hughes E86? I know my Sony DTivo is painfully slow at changing channels and bringing up the guide.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
How is the guide speed on the Hughes E86?
As much as I love my D-Tivo, the E-86 is MUCH faster. That being said, I still watch more TV via the D-Tivo. That's why I'll be ready to get a HD D-Tivo when they are released.

-Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.