AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think they are the same as the RCA?? The new SUR-35 (?) has some buttons and a customizable touchscreen. Can you program this on the PC and download? Can you change the shape & placement of buttons (like on the Pronto)?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I prefer the Sima to the RCA. More learning capacity, larger touchscreen buttons and 16 device capability. It is computer programmable, but the cables are not available yet. The buttons are limited to what's on the remote and are not resizeable. You can find out more by downloading the manual at www.simacorp.com.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I currently use the Sima SUR-20 remote and I love it. I want to upgrade to the SUR-35, but I am waiting til it can get one cheap of ebay. The remote I have is the same on the Rotel's use. The SUR-20 is also has a customizable touchscreen, but because the play, pause, stop, etc. are on the lcd you lose alot of the fuctionallity you get with the SUR-35. The SUR-25 is a 10 device remote and can be had for about $40 new on ebay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the SIMA models are very disappointing.

- You can not create your own button text, or graphics. Witch means you need to use the defaults buttons, or buttons with no text or graphic at all, really user-friendly for my wife, as I need to explain here what the varies empty buttons do.

- Default buttons can only be at specific locations on the touch screen. Creates very confusing button layouts with the varies buttons scattered all over the touch screen, and empty buttons between them.

- Defaults are really lacking. Default button to power devices is only a toggle button, no option for an on, and off button. With out that how can you explicitly turn devices off or on irrelevant to what state they are in now? No defaults for projectors.

- Can not have single button to enable/disable different input experiences

For example the remote has some device buttons at the bottom of the touch screen. Like DVD, TV, AMP, and so on. You can not assign any macros to these buttons. These buttons only bring up the devices button layout for these specific devices. I need to create another button on that screen to do all the other setup work like turn the AMP on , turn DVD on , set AMP input to DVD , and so on. This button will most likely be blank as they do not have any good defaults for this one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've been using a SUR-35 for about a month, and like it.

It's got drawbacks, but I think they're common drawbacks given the alternatives for the $109 price point.

As Dietera says, the LCD text is the same technology used by Sony's RM-AV line (which coincidentally hits the same price-point). You can choose each LCD button's label from the set of text assigned to that button; but you can't move a button/label to a different location on the LCD, and you can't change the text altogether. Sony has the same limitations.

It also can be harsh on batteries. Mine ate the first set in a little over 2 weeks. Granted, I was contatntly playing with it, re-programming buttons, experimenting -- far from typical usage. We'll see how long they last now that my configuration has stabilized.

Why I chose this over the RM-AV3000:

- It will allow you to "collect" those codes it cannot learn,

- you can download them using a cable (available in Feb 2004)

- email those codes to Sima, and ask them for an update to the unit. Supposedly they will provide updates.

Sure a Pronto would be nice. But the Sima is nowhere near the cost of a Pronto... I found it from a highly-reputable retailer for $109.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I see zero reason to choose the Sima at that price with its limitations in labeling, along with the inherent drawbacks of a touchscreen remote, when the Home Theater Master MX-500 without either of those drawbacks is available for under $100. If $100 is still too high, the cheaper URC-200 should be out shortly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had enough URC units to know that I don't want any more.

I've owned several, and not been impressed by any. The MX-500 has the aesthetics of a sledge hammer. My experience with URC support has not been complimentary.

The MX-500 seems to do some things pretty well, but it simply does not appeal to me.

Plus, I like that Sima will stand behind the product in the event that it won't learn commands.

URC failed to do that very recently, when some commands from my HT receiver could not be learned by my last URC product. They made promises, tried to download additional codes, and it simply did not work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.