AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious to know if this is worth the effort. IF I can get a better picture with the 118+ I would incorporate it into my system. Or should I try to get a 108/109 extron box for this.

I currently use the HTPC with the 1031Q and I am pleased with the picture but as usual I can't leave well enough alone.

Thx

Rob

·
Registered
16,924 Posts
Rob ,

-- I have used a 118+ , 108+ , 109 and now a 120p .

-- The 118 worked very well and I think you will be happy with the image once you re-calibrate after the Extron addition .

-- The 1031Q seems to like a 1 volt output instead of the standard .7v .

--- Keep in mind that none of these will give you what an MP-1 [ Mike Parker ] mod can .

----- Jason

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaGamePimp
Rob ,

-- I have used a 118+ , 108+ , 109 and now a 120p .

-- The 118 worked very well and I think you will be happy with the image once you re-calibrate after the Extron addition .

-- The 1031Q seems to like a 1 volt output instead of the standard .7v .

--- Keep in mind that none of these will give you what an MP-1 [ Mike Parker ] mod can .

----- Jason

All these Extron units seem to be about the same, but since you've actually used a few, which one did you like the most?

A lot of threads around here recommend getting an Extron box, but I can't remember anyone ever doing a direct comparison of multiple models.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i use a 109 with my 1031,and it has been great....although when we finally buy a home,i will be upgrading a projector and go with mike parkers mod...as you say,can't leave well enough alone.

brickie

·
Registered
116 Posts
I tried a 118 and it did not work, no sync and no picture. I bought a 109 on ebay and it works very well. Having a good set of cables also makes a huge difference.

I use an AVT-3200 box to generate the VGA signal from svideo and composite sources.

Matt

·
Registered
16,924 Posts
FSOne ,

-- I cannot do a direct A/B comparison of the different models since all I have currently is the 120p [ sold the others ] .

-- Going from memory however I would have to say that my favorite was the 108+ [ it had more adjustment options ] . As for the primary goal of the Extron interface I would have to say they all worked about equal [ they all produced a great image IMO ] .

---- Jason

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for your replies. As usual I am very anxious to hook this into my system.

Is there an RGB to VGA converter for the output side of the 118+?

Rob.

·
Registered
16,924 Posts
Rob ,

-- on the Extron BNC output you just need a standard VGA Breakout cable and of course a properly wired cable/adapter to connect the 15pin VGA to the 25pin RGB2 . Or you can always wire up a BNC to 25 pin cable :) .

--- Jason

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
if yuo're good at soldering i would suggest attempting to build your own...it's really not that bad..if not jason is the man...the only thing i wish i would have did is made my cable longer...iv'e jsut been to lazy to rectify that.

brickie

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GUys, Thanks for the information. I was able to get a 20' RGB to RGB cable for free. My soldering skills are or were quite good (electronic bench tech in the 80's) I would hate to butcher it as I will probably get another projector in the future. Ill get something together and report back later.

What resolution works really good with this projector? I use a 7200 radeon HTPC with reclock and ffdshow. My current res is 720 X480 X 60. I view cable - DVD etc.

Rob

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Jason I took your advice and made a RGB to 25 Pin cable. All I can say is WOW. The extron box and cabling made a significant change in my picture. There was a dimensionality to the picture that made my jaw drop. The colors seemed to jump off the screen. I should have done this on Friday night. Now I want to look at all my DVD's again, must go to work though. I did have to boost the brightness in dscaler and ZP. Im sure that I will have to refocus and converge the picture again but man this thing looks awesome.

Once again thanks to all who replied.

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.