AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently connected these to my matinee chairs using a 100 watt subwoofer amp from Parts Express. They seem to work fine but even with the gain at full the vibration, although very noticeable, is not very strong. I was expecting to feel this at maybe 50% gain. Anything I could be doing to limit the signal to the shakers or this the way they should feel?

I used the flat interconnects to attach my 12 gauge speaker wire from the shakers to the wires on the back of the subwoofer amp. The matinee's are connected to form two love seats so I attached the shakers to the bottom of the one arm rest where the wood seemed pretty sturdy. Would it have made a difference to attach them differently? Maybe add a cross member to both sides underneath the chairs?

Thanks for any expertise.

David

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
How many did you connect?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Also, how are you attaching the subwoofer amp to your receiver?

Are there any crossover settings on the subwoofer amp you need to change? Any LFE/Normal switches?

Try feeding some static noise directly into the shakers (i.e. a static radio station...) if you hear the shakers emitting static noise, then you know the shakers are working. Otherwise you may have hooked up something wrong.

At 50% power, you should definately feel a lot of shaking during scenes with a lot of bass. At 100% power, you'll feel like you're on a roller coaster.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response guys.

I hooked up 4, each pair in parallel and then all 4 in series back to the subwoofer amp. I have the Y cable from the subwoofer connection in the back of my receiver split to my sub and the 4 shakers.

At 50% I don't seem to feel a great deal. I did however watch the comet strike scene in Deep Impact last night and at 100% gain I definitely had some rumbling going! I guess I'm thinking normally full gain would be too much but here I would say it was about right.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.