AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I installed it yesterday, just played around with the menu options, and saw the forced box with 720p and 1080i. But somehow today I cannot find it again. I uninstalled everything, and installed again, but still cannot find it. Very strange. Any ideas?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have same question.

Any feedback?

It would seems to me that this driver might remve all the powerstrip thingy. This would be great.

F

·
Registered
212 Posts
I did use it, altho I did not see the 720p, 1080i forced box. Chosing 1280x720 or 1280x1080 does not make a difference to watching dvd movie. But, the desktop using 1280x720 has a smaller overscan (cannot see all of the bottom status bar) than using 1280x1080. It is hard to tell if there was overscan when watching dvd movie. It did say it recognized the sony pdf tv.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Im new and i just built this HTPC and this is my first time back since i built it. I installed the ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB video card and wondered how would i go about finding out if i had Catalyst 4.10?

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you installed the driver from the cd then you will not have 4.10. ATI releases new driver atleast once a month.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pederb
If you installed the driver from the cd then you will not have 4.10. ATI releases new driver atleast once a month.
I'm not positive, but I think 4.10 means October, 2004. Ordinarily you wouldn't see asoftware version 4.10 following a version 4.9.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Installing 4.10 on my MCE 2005 machine with an ATI 9000 card got it to work with MCE 2005.

Good stuff I guess.

However, I'm still trying to figure out how to get non standard resolutions like 848x480 and 856x480 etc.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did it and it does not work.

Spent some time last night playing with the force 720 or 1080.

Neither work well.

They do work but the result is bad.

This is so much me. I have a perfect system and always think i can make it even better.

As a result i spent the night playing with the new driver and wasted my time.

Powerstrip gives a perfect result by having a computer signal being sent to the HS20. The 1-1 pixel mapping is beautiful.

The force 1080 on the ATI new driver gives crappy video signal.

Dont waste your time. The 11 pixel ,mapping with COMPUTER SIGNAL IS BY FAR THE WAY TO GO. Nothing comes close to it.

You have been warned - 768 * 1368 on HS20 is perfect - trying to do something else will be a waste of your time.

Hope this helps,

F

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
the best lesson learned when dealing with computers is that if it is working (looking nice) don't mess with it!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frederic
I did it and it does not work.

Spent some time last night playing with the force 720 or 1080.

Neither work well.

F
frederic: will you please tell me what menu path you took to get to the forced box with 720p/1080i choice? All I see under the forced box are all the predetermined resolution, i.e, 1028x768...1920x1080...etc.

I had seen this box when I first installed it, but even after re-install a few times (deleteing all ati stuff first), I cannot get it any more.

tx

·
Registered
16,915 Posts
Watch out for the 4.10 release , it broke WMV playback for me [ did not matter if WMV Acceleration was checked or not ] .

------- Jason

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaGamePimp
Watch out for the 4.10 release , it broke WMV playback for me [ did not matter if WMV Acceleration was checked or not ] .

------- Jason
i experienced the same, the colors were distorted when playing wmv-files in wmp9 after i installed catalyst 4.10. however, when i played them in zoomplayer everything was as it should be. now i updated to wmp10, and it's working there. guess just reinstalling whatever wmp u're using will do the trick too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
actually, it seems like it is the windows media runtime that is the issue. i just noticed that when i installed wmp10 the newest version of windows media runtime was installed as well. when i rolled back to wmp9 it was still working, but when i rolled back the windows media runtime the bug came back.

weird that it only affects wmp and not zoomplayer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frederic
Powerstrip gives a perfect result by having a computer signal being sent to the HS20. The 1-1 pixel mapping is beautiful.

The force 1080 on the ATI new driver gives crappy video signal.

Dont waste your time. The 11 pixel ,mapping with COMPUTER SIGNAL IS BY FAR THE WAY TO GO. Nothing comes close to it.

You have been warned - 768 * 1368 on HS20 is perfect - trying to do something else will be a waste of your time.

F
Can you give more detail on how to set it?

I plan to install Powerstrip soon and output it from my AIW9700Pro to my 65"HDTV.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaGamePimp

------- Jason
Same thing happened to me.

I upgraded to WMP10 and that seemed to fix problems with the colors all screwed up. But, it seemed to crash a lot. I tried installing SP2 and upgraded my AGP chipset drivers - no luck. I finally fixed it by changing my AGP aperture size from 64MB to 128MB.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I tried the 4.10 with my X800 Pro, I'm using the bundeled component output cable and found that with this driver there is no way to enable anything beyond 480p, for starters the 540p checkbox is gone, and you can check the 720p, 1080i and 16:9 boxes as many times you want that it won't keep them, so when using Powerstrip to force any of thing over 480p, like 1776x1000i, the moment I play any DVD the PC freezes and have to reboot.

This also happens with 8.07 betas.

I the end I've gone back to 4.9 and hope this will be fixed in 4.11s.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JavierS
I tried the 4.10 with my X800 Pro, I'm using the bundeled component output cable and found that with this driver there is no way to enable anything beyond 480p, for starters the 540p checkbox is gone, and you can check the 720p, 1080i and 16:9 boxes as many times you want that it won't keep them, so when using Powerstrip to force any of thing over 480p, like 1776x1000i, the moment I play any DVD the PC freezes and have to reboot.

This also happens with 8.07 betas.

I the end I've gone back to 4.9 and hope this will be fixed in 4.11s.

Cheers.
I updated to 4.10 the other night and found that 1776x1000 is busted. But it's busted in a weird way.

The desktop looks fine in 1776x1000, but if I try to play any video, regardless if it's from dvd, .ts, or anything else, it locks up the pc and I have to reboot. At first I thought it was a TT2.1 problem, but after trying to play video in other apps, it did the same thing. I even tried other codecs, 1776x1000 is a no-go.

Just as strange, when I switch the resolution to 1920x1080, my desktop and video are severely underscanned. It use to be too much overscan, which is why I used 1776x1000. Though, video playback works perfect in 1920x1080, minus the underscan issue.

I'll be rolling back to Cats 4.7 tonight to make sure everything is fine.

Edit:

When I got home, I decided to try a couple of things before reverting back to Cats 4.7. I went ahead and updated to SP2. Rebooted the PC, did a modify/repair of TT2.0, installed the TT2.1 patch and 1776x1000 still would cause the VPU Recovery and PC to crash.

Reverted back to Cats 4.7 and everything is fine and dandy again. I'm sending feedback to ATI about the problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Taz,

Same as me. Using 9800pro via dongle. If I select 1080 and then optimize it, the desktop looks fine. When I start TT2.1 the vpu recover resets my res to 800x600. Bugger.

B

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.