Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning!

I have a drop ceiling (black) that meets a deep red/black carpeted wall. I would like to get more accent into the room.

One thing I did, which came out great- Home Depot has

the wood accents (many) on sale for two buck each down

from eight buck. I stained each and placed on my bottom

half of the wall which is painted flat black.

Has anyone used or seen crown molding on a drop ceiling room?

I can't picture it so any advice would be helpful.

One other thing I did to try to stay within budget on my dedicated HT room, between my movie posters I placed framed

LD covers. Breaks up the wall very nicely and was helpfull to

my budget. My of my budet went into gear.

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
This is not a problem at all. Find all the studs (and mark them) in the walls. When putting up the moulding, simply nail it to the wall at the stud and not worry about fixing it to the ceiling. It will be fine.

I have done all the trim work in my home. Some of which is quite extensive. None of my crown moulding is fixed to the ceiling, just the wall.

Good luck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have crown molding with my drop ceiling in my HT. When I framed my walls for the acoustic treatments, I just accounted for the size of the molding and nailed the bottom of the molding into the frame. Everyone that has seen the room has commented on how nice it looks.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Tom,

I did the same exact thing as Torre. I marked the studs first and nailed to the studs. An extra step for me was to apply a thin bead of liquid nails to the back of the moulding for added hold. Another possibility is to get a thin piece of furring stip and apply that to th studs first and nail the moulding to that. It must be thin enough not to effect the angle of the crown. If the wood you are using is hard wood (oak) pre-drill the holes to line up with your studs or you are going to end up with a lot of bent nails. :(

Good Luck,

Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.