AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to figure out fbset for the last few days because I would like to change my framebuffer from 1024x768 (what it's currently running) to 1280x720 so I can view it on an HDTV. However, on the three linux machines I have at my home (2 Debian and 1 Slackware, completely different hardware in all three), I cannot get fbset to change anything. Here's an example:

Code:
Code:
# fbset -v
Linux Frame Buffer Device Configuration Version 2.1 (23/06/1999)
(C) Copyright 1995-1999 by Geert Uytterhoeven

Opening frame buffer device `/dev/fb0'
Using current video mode from `/dev/fb0'

mode "1024x768-76"
    # D: 78.653 MHz, H: 59.949 kHz, V: 75.694 Hz
    geometry 1024 768 1024 768 32
    timings 12714 128 32 16 4 128 4
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
endmode
... so I ran it with verbose. Currently running 1024x768. Good, but I don't think it's at 75Hz refresh. Anyway, now I try to change the resolution...

Code:
Code:
# fbset -v 800x600-75
Linux Frame Buffer Device Configuration Version 2.1 (23/06/1999)
(C) Copyright 1995-1999 by Geert Uytterhoeven

Opening frame buffer device `/dev/fb0'
Reading mode database from file `/etc/fb.modes'
Using video mode `800x600-75'
Setting video mode to `/dev/fb0'
... it looks like it's all good from the text. Found the correct settings in fb.modes and is "Setting the video mode", but I can tell you that the screen doesn't change. And if I run 'fbset -v' again, it spits out 'mode "1024x768-76"' just like it did BEFORE I tried to set it to 800x600-75. :(

Let me know if your fbset works... cause I can't get mine working. All of my kernels are at least 2.6.11, I wonder if it has to do with newer kernels. Anyone know? Does anyone have it working?

Thanks,

-Greg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kq6ea
Are you outputting on the VGA connector to your HD set, or using a different output on the video card?

This link might give you some clues: http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/hiresconsole.html

Jim
No, this is all on the monitor... I'm doing a proof of concept before I hook it up to the HD set and try it out. The on screen display for the monitor tells me what resolution and refresh rate I'm currently running. It's just not working. Does your fbset work? If so, what kernel are you running?

Your page is good but it assumes that fbset is working... I'm doing exactly what it describes below the "Framebuffer Console" section.

Thanks,

-Greg

·
Registered
320 Posts
I always thought that fbset was just for changing the resolution of the xconsole windows. And if you're making changes to the xwindowing (or x.org these days) system, you have to exit it, and re-login for the changes to take effect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kq6ea
I always thought that fbset was just for changing the resolution of the xconsole windows. And if you're making changes to the xwindowing (or x.org these days) system, you have to exit it, and re-login for the changes to take effect.
No... no windows, no kde. I'm trying to get my console to be a special resolution, I emailed the writer of the fbset. He told me that the VESAfb won't change resolutions because they are read out of the video bios at boot time (just before the kernel loads). I've since learned of a newer vesafb called vesafb-tng ( http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/vesafb-tng/ ) on this webpage, Spock, the author, mentions that resolutions can be changed on the fly AND it's compatible with the nvidia binaries. :) I'm gonna try it out tonight.

-Greg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ahhhh....OK, I thought you were running a 'regular' desktop.

Have fun, hope it works for you!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Which kernel are you using? There was a new nvidiafb driver in 2.6.12 i think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.