AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering this myself. I checked the IBM website but was unable to determine if the IBM drives have the same security features that allow the WD drives to operate with the UTV. It seems that the security features that are implemented by the drive manufacturer are the determining factor in wheather the drives are compatible or not. Hopefully someone will respond that has actually tried these drives. Fry's has these on sale right now for $169. One reason I am interested in this particular IBM drive is that I read that this series has been made quieter. this is a factor for me as I have several peices of equipment running in mt HT and every little bit adds up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I believe it is worth a try. I have heard that WDs are (or at least were at one point) re-packaged IBM drives. A physical inspection of both drives shows identical jumper configurations (WD1200BB and 75GXP) and strikingly similiar appearance. I would have more faith that an IBM will work than a Maxtor.

Hope that helps.

TILDA

·
Banned
176 Posts
Just wondering whether anyone's tried an IBM drive. The IBM specs are as follows: 120GB, DESKSTAR 120GXP, ULTRA ATA/100, 8.5ms, 2MB, 7200rpm. Notably, even the OEMs generally come with a 3yr warranty.

So, has anyone taken the plunge?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I heard that the IBM drives are specified to not be used for more than 8 hours a day and that they shouldn't be used for servers for this reason. Using them in an UTV (if this is the case) could be asking for trouble. Supposedly, the same reliability problem that many of the 75GXPs had are what they are worried about. This is just conjecture!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.