AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a paradigm system (studio 60 front, 570-cc center and studio 20 rears) with an HSU VTF3 MK3 and MBM-12 through an onkyo 805.

Is the onkyo a good pre-amp to push a sunfire grand cinema at 200 watts a channel?

For the money would I be better off getting a third sub that runs the full LFE range to tie together the MBM and VTF3 which are sperated into mid and low bass?

Would I be better off acoustically treating the room?

I like everything I read about the Sunfire but wonder if it is really the best option for my next upgrade.

· Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know more or have an opinion?

Would this amp upgrade be better than doing accoustical treatments or adding a subwoofer to tie together my mid and low bass?

I know it is hard to know but your help is very appreciated.

· Registered
2,250 Posts
My personal vote is the room treatments. Easily. Mind you, HTs are typically desired to be even more dead than a lot of music setups it seems.

I have personally found that once you significantly treat a room, it takes much higher output to reach bad SQ caused by the room's influence. In this case, just basing on my own personal and limited experiences, the possible need for an outboard amp then becomes more realized.

I use an 805 for pre/pro, in an HT-only setup. I have a separate stereo.

Apply treatments, re-run Audyssey XT, and if your experiences are like mine, the audio will be pretty darn good.

Sunfire makes very nice amps. Good luck.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Seconded.

Like Josten, I also run the 805 as a prepro (well, I do use the SB amps in the 805 for 7.1). I went separates back in the early '90s when I believed more in the subjective side of this hobby so the amp is a holdover from the DPL days. In all honesty, in a blind test it's unlikely that I could hear a difference between the 805's amps and the 40+ pound Adcom I'm using for my main channels.

If you're just looking for more SPL, you'll need to double the available amp power for just a +3dB gain...with 3dB being the smalled incremental change the average human can discern in a complex waveform. For the 805, that would require at least a 300 wpc amp. If you're not clipping the 805 or even driving it into noticeable distortion, you don't need more power. Easy, huh?

Remember, room treatments don't necessarily have to look like room treatments. :) Possibly not as efficient as dedicated treatments, but well placed upholstered furniture, drapes, wall hangings, etc. can help tremendously. Don't overlook the theory behind placement for your speakers and listening position either.

-Brent

· Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I used a Onkyo TX-SR805 as a preamp for a year. I thought it offered an awesome price performance ratio. I would only caution if using an amplifier with a low input impedance. I believe the Sunfire has a 100,000 ohm impedance, which is quite compatible. When I used a Aragon 8008bb, I had issues getting a full signal due to it be so low (22,000ohms).

I ended up switching to a TX-SR875 to add a HDMI input and better video processing. Using this too as solely a preamp.

Cheers,

AD

· Registered
14,869 Posts
I am using the 805 as a prepro with a NHT Power5 amp. I am very happy with the SQ and features of the 805. I am using a 2 CH preamp with HT Bypass for 2 CH listening. Although 2 CH SQ with the 805 in the Pure Mode is very good though. I feel the 805 is an incedible unit for the price whether as a receiver or a prepro.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.