AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title pretty much says it. Does anyone use their PS3 to playback ATSC broadcast TV shows that were originally recorded with SageTV?

I am rounding third on completing the basement home theater and I would like to use the PS3 as the sole media player.

I don't need fancy integration and I certainly don't expect the PS3 to offer the same interface as a Sage extender. I would be fine with just a simple directory structure that allows you to scroll through the names of the recordings and pick them that way. Skip/seek of 15 or 30 seconds would be very desirable for skipping commercials though, and I would prefer the ability to play the recordings straight without the need for transcoding.

Does anyone use a PS3 in a setup like this? I would be interested to hear the issues involved. If it is as simple as navigating to the file after it has recorded, or if there is any manual intervention you would have to do for each recording.

-Suntan

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I use GBPVR instead of Sage, but I'm guessing it's pretty much the same thing. Regular def files are simple, but I've found that HD recordings work better with .TS files than .MS-DVR. I use the Java PS3 streaming app on the DVR itself to serve up the files. Works great!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Most of the issue is file format. Figure out if the PS3 supports whatever flavor you're recording. Manual transcoding is a timesuck, although I believe the Sage server can be set up to auto transcode to another file. Why not run TVersity or one of the others on the Sage server? Sure, it's slightly more hassle, but it supports transcoding to PS3 when necessary. My only issue with it is that the PS3 doesn't always

detect TVersity without some monkeying around. I stream to a psp this way as well. The other option you could consider is the SageTV hd box. They're under $200, small, and do a nice job decoding most everything.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV /forum/post/16937389

Most of the issue is file format. Figure out if the PS3 supports whatever flavor you're recording. Manual transcoding is a timesuck, although I believe the Sage server can be set up to auto transcode to another file. Why not run TVersity or one of the others on the Sage server? Sure, it's slightly more hassle, but it supports transcoding to PS3 when necessary. My only issue with it is that the PS3 doesn't always

detect TVersity without some monkeying around. I stream to a psp this way as well.

My current media PC is not the most recent (single core A64 3200+ w/ 7600GT gfx.) I would hazard to guess that real time transcoding of broadcast HD would leave a less than fluid picture for playback. Further, I do not want the reduction of picture quality that would result. As such, I am hoping the PS3 would be able to play the Sage files natively. I would be ok with just having to remux into another container or some such, but that would be annoying just to watch recorded TV shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV /forum/post/16937389

The other option you could consider is the SageTV hd box. They're under $200, small, and do a nice job decoding most everything.

i have one for the bedroom, and they do work very well. However, the current HD200 does not support TrueHD or DTS HD-MA and it sounds like the Sage extenders won't get that until an HD300 is released some time in the future. I would like to only have to buy one media box for the basement, and the primary requirement is Blu Ray playback with TV playback secondary.

...That and the Sage HD200 won't play FFXIII whenever it comes out next year...

-Suntan

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but are they broadcasting DTS HD-MA or TrueHD?

Yea, the transcode on some cpus for some formats will be an issue.

What's keeping you from trying the ATSC file on the PS3? Sage works with that h.264 encoder from Hauppauge. I believe I've played that back without incident on the ps3. Need to confirm. I can try a mpeg2 1088i transport stream on the ps3 if that helps. It didn't used to like them, but that was several firmware revisions ago. I just don't like to bother booting up the ps3 when the sage hd box is available.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have a PS3.

No, TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA are not part of the ATSC broadcast spec, afaik. But I am trying to determine if a PS3, by itself, would accommodate all my A/V needs in the basement. As such, the limitation of no HDA audio support on the HD200 is a bit of a deal breaker for blu ray playback.

I have Sage running on the livingroom plasma and a Sage extender (HD100) running up in the bedroom, but the basement is not finished yet (couple more weeks.)

Right now I am just trying to figure out if:

A) the PS3 will play ATSC broadcast shows at all without transcoding (muxing would be tolerable, but not desired)

B) if there are any specific little intricacies or quirks with it.

At the minimum, if it is half baked and would require a person to remux each show individually before watching, I would at least be able to hold off getting another Sage extender until an HD300 with HDA audio support is released.

Sorry if it is relatively common knowledge, but without having one to try it myself, and 99.999% of all PS3 media streaming talk centered pretty much on how you can get (illegally) downloaded .mkv rips to play, it is time consuming to try and hunt down the info.

-Suntan

·
Registered
66 Posts
If your having issues with ps3 streaming, download PS3 media server.

No configuring, no hassles, it just works GREAT! I do recommend wired connection vs wireless for hd streams however.

Works great with recorded Hd shows

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Can you tell me what file formats you can record in with Sage? As I stated above, .TS files work great, and DVR-MS (or is it MS-DVR) will work but not as well in my experience when it comes to HD recordings. My GBPVR records in standard formats for SD, and all work fine. I am using the PS3 Media Server on my HTPC. I do NOT transcode.

As far as DVDs go, I can stream Dolby Digital, but nothing higher than that, including DTS. I have heard it works, but I have not been able to do this yet.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sage recordings have a default of .mpeg but they are just native broadcast transport streams. If I had to, I could just manually rename the shows I want to watch with a .ts

In any case, I got a PS3 a week or two back, so it is rather moot either way at this point. I haven't had a chance to hook everything up other than just a quick test of the HDMI cable, so I haven't had a chance to tinker with it yet.

I will check out PS3 media server when I get a chance.

Thanks all.

-Suntan

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
One thing you probably won't know about is the thumbnail feature. Use the square button and you'll get thumbnails at the bottom. They are even animated so you can see the action of each thumbnail. You can change the position of the thumbnails from about 10 seconds to 5 minute intervals too. Really nice when you are wanting to resume at a certain spot of a streamed movie.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Ok:

How about recordings in M2TS format already on a USB drive hooked up with a SageTV Theater? (Ok my sage is in the mail)...I'd like to play them on the PS3...

One reason why I bought SageTV was that I can hook a USB drive right to the device and it works as a PVR. I am wondering if I can hook a router to the PS3 and SageTV and watch M2TS formatted recorded content.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Might as well update this for anyone else who might be interested.

The PS3 will play the Sage recordings via PS3MS, but there is usually a random audio sync for the files. Sage automatically compensates for the sync issues such that audio and video are in sync, but the issue occurs when playing back through PS3MS.

If you set TSmuxer as the primary method of handling audio, the stream will play without re-encoding of either audio or video (but you will still have the sync issues.)

As I don't watch too many TV shows on the PS3 it's not a huge issue. To fix the sync issues, I just run the recordings through VideoRedo to fix the audio sync errors and then they play fine (with audio in sync) on the PS3. Since I have to run them through VideoRedo, I just cut the commercials out completely so FF/RW isn't really an issue.

-Suntan

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assJack1 /forum/post/17371096

Ok:

How about recordings in M2TS format already on a USB drive hooked up with a SageTV Theater? (Ok my sage is in the mail)...I'd like to play them on the PS3...

One reason why I bought SageTV was that I can hook a USB drive right to the device and it works as a PVR. I am wondering if I can hook a router to the PS3 and SageTV and watch M2TS formatted recorded content.

What are you asking? The SageTV Theater will not work as a PVR by itself. You need to be running a PC with a copy of the Sage Server software running on it to get PVR capabilities.

As far as the Sage extender playing m2ts files, yes it will most likely play them. Although Sage Server will not record/PVR in that format. As a rule of thumb, if the PS3 can be made to play the file over the network, you can be pretty confident that the Sage extender will play them without issue. But for better info on Sage format support, you’re better off going over to the Sage forums ( forums.sagetv.com ) and getting it straight from the horse’s mouth.

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Suntan thanks. I hope I am not confusing things for myself.

-I have some M2TS records sitting on my computer. My computer and PS are hooked to a Linksys router.

-I have purchased SageTV HD Theater along with SageTV media server.

I could be wrong, but I thought the PS3 would see the SageTV equipment as a media server and be able to browse and play my recordings. I know my files work because I have played them off a USB drive on the PS3.

Thanks for your help.

-AJ

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The PS3 will not interface with Sage like the Sage extender will, if that is what you are thinking. (Although there has been on-again, off-again effort put into getting a "Sage client" running on a flavor of Linux that would be installed on the PS3. I wouldn't hold my breath though.) However, you can run Sage server and PS3MS at the same time on the same computer just fine.

Basically, you can set the folders that Sage records shows to as folders to share in PS3MS and the PS3 will play them as if they were any other videos on your computer (whether you end up having audio sync issues like I had or not is possibly dependent on the type of tuners or encoders you use in Sage.) But you will gain nothing, with regards to playing the m2ts files you already have on your computer with the PS3, by insalling Sage Server. The PS3 won't see or do anything with Sage Server.

The main limitations (and reasons why the Sage extender will work better for video distribution throughout the house) is that you can not make recording or scheduling inputs to Sage from the PS3, you can not play a show that is currently being recorded (can't start the show 20 minutes into it) and the PS3 won't keep track of shows you've watched, or are part way through.

-Suntan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts