AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to know about how well the SD slot on the new Panasonics playback Mpeg 4 videos??

I have alot of DVD movies I backuped and converted to MPeg 4 video to play on my PSP and am wondering how well these movies playback on the SD slot on the Pannys....They supposedly touted the 800 and 850 models to be able to playback video in the SD slots

SO how does it look?

Any issues?...is it quick to read?...hows the HD quality?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't know about mp4 video but AVCHD looks great on it. I just pop the SD card out of my 1080p camcorder and it looks just as good as if I run an HDMI cable into the TV directly from the camcorder. A better solution that what I was using before (playing the SD card through my PS3 using a USB carad reader. That introduced some artifacts on high bit rate video.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Panny 54" Plasma. I am trying to understand excactly what video extensions can be played through the SD Slot. I am trying to play some converted You Tube videos through it and the manual says that only AVCHD or MPEG-2 can be played.

I have a converter program and I have encoded the files to MPEG-2 (extension is mpeg) but it is not recognized by the reader. Any suggestions? What is the extension of an AVCHD file?

The card is recognized as it does play my image files.

Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I got a TC-P42GT25 last week, and reading the manual, the SD Card reader will play "SD Video Standard Ver 1.2 (MPEG-2 PS format) and AVCHD Standard compatible files with and audio format that is either MPEG-1/Layer-2 format for Dolby Digital Format."

I found a free converter for .avi to m2ts files (which according to wikipedia file on AVCHD is the file extension when it is on a PC as opposed to .mts which is once it is copied off a digital video recorder.

I saw a post here under AVCHD warning to double check that the output file was at 29.97 fps , which was the default. I still am unable to play and am not sure what to do next. Since the converted file has a generic windows icon I am thinking I need to perhaps manually edit the output's file properties to .mts ?

Any experiences of success?

I am using the free trial of "AVS Video Converter 7.1" and selected from MPEG4/DivX to M2TS . The output file is now transferred onto the SD /MMC card and on the Panasonic VIERA cast I don't see a file.

The default Output for 29.97 fps uses MPEG2 video codec with LPCM Audio codec.

There are other codec choices, I have not Tried "M2TS Full HD 1080p (H.264- 24000 bps 24 fps.)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
You might try *multiAVCHD*. It allows you to output different folder structures and AVCHD is one of them, so it may make the proper layout to work on the card. This is something I was going to try out this weekend.

You may be able to get TSMUXER to convert an avi to m2ts. Give it a go and let us know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good luck with this. I tried a zillion iterations of many types and got nowhere. I would love to read that you were successful, though... and how you accomplished such a feat. Too bad Panasonic had to be so restrictive with the file types that it would recognize. (Sorry, I am still burned about my generation Panny not being able to get Netflix though it was touted as "infinitely upgradable").

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have so far suceeded with the output to m2ts and then manually changing file extension to .mts . The video plays from an SD card but not audio.

Will try these suggestions next

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids /forum/post/19873794

I have so far suceeded with the output to m2ts and then manually changing file extension to .mts . The video plays from an SD card but not audio.

Will try these suggestions next

Thanks for the update skids

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
A dedicated thread on doom9 by the multiavchd author:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146602

Newer site for more info:

http://multiforum.deanbg.com/index.php

I hope it's ok to post these links, just trying to help people with backing up their camcorder movies and then playing on the tv/bd player.

skids, did you just put the sdhc card in your tv and got no sound? Can you try it on a bd player and go through your avr for better sound? Assuming you have something like a panny bd player with sd slot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts