Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use a Sony DVP S-7700, and a Yamaha RX V795 and B&W 602's

I'm upgrading to a Plasma TV and want to upgrade the DVD Player to something that supports progressive scan but which I can also continue to use as a decent CD player.

I'm planning on buying 5 Gallo Micros to use with the new system.

I'm not sure if I should buy a dedicated CD deck or use the DVD player for CD's. Decent music quality is important to me. I found my exisiting set up using the SONY DVP S-7700, Yamaha RX V795 and the B&W 602's to be good for DVD's and just OK for Cd's, nothing really special. I'm looking to improve sound quality for CD's

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Oh hell yeah. We were using a Magnovox CD player from 1989 for quite some time until I got an Apex AD 1100W. The sound quality is MUCH better. So, yeah. DVD players seem to have a much better quality and better error correction of CDs than a regular CD Player. If it plays it, use it. And I like how my Apex can play MP3s as well. Just rip about 10 hours of music on one CD, put it in, and have up to 10 hours of enjoyment. No hassling with those CD changers that are difficult to use. I'll never have a CD changer. I prefer putting my CDs and DVDs BACK in the cases right where they go when I'm done. Anyway. Like I said. I use my DVD player to play CDs. A lot of other people do the same as well.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
My 3 DVD changers are full and *cherry* no DVD has ever set foot in mine. I only play CDs in Pioneer 2 F-1007 300 + 1 changers that are linked together. :)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
This question answers itself by simply viewing a place like vcdhelp.com. Everyone there seems more interested in judging a DVD player's performance on playback of CD, MP3, VCD, SVCD, XVCD etc.. everything EXCEPT how well the unit can actually play a DVD.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Actually, the 7700 makes for a very nice CD player.

Your speakers aren't bad either, but it looks like you're going for a futuristic looking system if you're getting a plasma and the gallos. That's ok, because the gallos aren't bad either.

If you're looking to improve the sound of your CDs, perhaps you could look into getting a seperate DAC (digital to analog converter). That 7700 is built like a tank, so it would make a fantastic transport.

Look into the Musical Fidelity A3-24 upsampling DAC. From what I've read it does a marvelous job improving the sound of CDs. There's an archived review on the Stereophile Magazine website. Of course, there's a whole market of nice DACs out there, so you should be able to find something that could work. I very strongly suggest you listening to one first, though. Many people can't hear any difference.

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess a better question would be, why wouldn't you use your dvd player to play CD's? Of course some people use mega-changers, but other than that, with a DVD player you get the benefits of being able to play mp3 cd's, DVD audio, etc. And it's one less remote and an extra space on your component rack.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My DVD player is a Pioneer 47ai so I use it for DVD Audio, SACD and CD playback. Incidentally, it is a fine source for CD play (I now us it over my elite CD recorder and have sold a Sony ES CD player that I no longer need). I have a mega CD player for those times when long-term playback is required (i.e., dinner partys, etc.) Cheers.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
innit,

I use one box to play all 5 inch silver disc's!

CD's play superbly on the Denon DVD-3800 I have with it's Burr-Brown audio DAC's ....... along with DVD-A's. I'm going to try home-burnt jpg DVD+R/W's on it too.

·
Banned
946 Posts
For outstanding CD playback, the Denon DVD 5000 is still the king. Try connecting it to the amp via digital coax and HEAR the difference.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
bills2K,

How does the 5000 do with badly scratched CD's?

I have some real bad ones that got banged around for years in my PU truck and the 3800 so far doesn't even care - plays em' without a hitch.

(Now there's something the analog audio world can't match! :D )

·
Banned
946 Posts
Hi Phil:

Thanks for the response. It plays scratched CDs very well. Have not had a problem. I hear really good things about the 3800. I am a Denon guy so you do not have to convince me. Enjoy it. In fact, to my utter surprise, it even played DVD-R discs flawlessly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster. I love the show BTW... ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Yo Momma
I guess a better question would be, why wouldn't you use your dvd player to play CD's? ... with a DVD player you get the benefits of being able to play mp3 cd's, DVD audio, etc.
Because you might be able to get a better dedicated CD player, audio sound quality-wise. OR perhaps it's better to match your CD source to your tastes, and keep the DVD portion isolated from that. That way you can change out your video source at will without affecting your CD playback. Pehaps you like the Panasonic DVD-RP82's video, but you find the audio somewhat lacking? And maybe the more expensive DVD players don't really do it for you (both audio and video)?

I initially began a 1 year and 11 month process in Dec 2000 to find a 5-7 disc DVD carousel to replace my marantz cc-47 changer, which I ran into a DAC from a jitterbox (AA DTI-Pro). I couldn't find anything audibly acceptable that wasn't extra pricy like the Denon 4800 changer. Also most of the earlier models didn't like to play CD-R discs. Not that big of a deal, but I'd miss that feature for sure! And as much as I hate to say the the flimsy build quality (panasonic dvd-cp72, e.g,) didn't sit well in my mind. And those that did seem to be built better (Pioneer Elite c36 and Onkyo C601) had unspectacular video or are known to be unreliable.

Then factor in the ever involving video implementations, and I'd need a new player at least every two years, if not sooner. Plus that upgrade would disrupt my audio playback. And likewise, if I wanted to exchange the player for something sonically better, I'd have to rematch my (already excessively picky) criteria all over again. And considering I just about founding nothing I really liked over the course of 2 years. It doesn't bode well for me to go down that path.

So I just decided I would have two separate sources. CD and DVD. Even factoring in the extra cost of interconnects, shelf space, and having to buy the DVD player, still think I might have come out ahead. At least compared to having to buy on single "super" DVD player.

I picked up a Panasonic DVD-RP82 at the suggestion of others on this forum. Not bad for just a little over $200. It sure has succeeding in making all my friends to have seen it envious. In both looks and performance.

Quote:
And it's one less remote and an extra space on your component rack.
There is sometime to be said about that depending on how expensive your rack real estate is. It's also worth considering you won't need an extra pair of interconnects or a digital cable. And it's one less input on your preamp that you need to use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.