AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a stand-alone music jukebox. I want to keep a copy of my music directory (stored as a RAID 1 on a Server 2008 machine) synced locally on a jukebox PC.

I basically rip the CD at my Office PC , download album art, and transfer it to the network machine. I was going to try out MS SyncToy 2.0 to see if it would automatically keep the jekebox local drive mirrored to the network drive and only copy the new files that are not stored its hard drive...

has anyone done this or have another program they use?

·
Registered
813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo6 /forum/post/16998882

I am building a stand-alone music jukebox. I want to keep a copy of my music directory (stored as a RAID 1 on a Server 2008 machine) synced locally on a jukebox PC.

I basically rip the CD at my Office PC , download album art, and transfer it to the network machine. I was going to try out MS SyncToy 2.0 to see if it would automatically keep the jekebox local drive mirrored to the network drive and only copy the new files that are not stored its hard drive...

has anyone done this or have another program they use?

I personally use Allway Sync (much more reliable than Synctoy).

·
Registered
993 Posts
I use Synctoy 2.0 to manually mirror my music libary between two PCs (but it also supports automation to some degree using the Windows task scheduler). Never had any problems with it, easy to use and very reliable. If you want a more powerful solution with scripting etc. I'd recommend Cygwin with rsync (a very powerful Unix sync tool).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet thanks for all the great replies... the incremental copy is important because I don't want it trying to transfer 140GB wirelessly every time...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Tried SyncToy and had nothing but issues.

Went over to Robocopy (also free by MS) and have never had a single issue.

Plus, I hated the way SyncToy wanted to put files in my directories for it's use.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I just started playing with Live Mesh. I believe MS will eventually replace SyncToy with Live Mesh sync. By enabling folder sync between PCs and disabling sync to the "Live Desktop" it seems to do a very nice job of replicating the content between PCs without trying to sync to Mesh.com.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Just a heads-up: This thread reminded me to check for the latest update for Synctoy. While doing that I found this thread on the MS support forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...9-701dd725e451

There appears to be a possibility of data corruption when copying to a NAS using Synctoy 2.0. MS has acknowledged the problem and is working on a fix. Until it is available, I'd recommend using another tool or going back to Synctoy 1.4.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagojago /forum/post/16999628

I use SyncBack SE, very nice and easy to use program.

I struggled with MS SyncToy for several months, but SyncBack SE is much, much more reliable, predictable, understandable, easy-to-use, all-of-the-above etc.

I'm with jagojago...

·
Registered
49 Posts
My media (and other data) is on my WHS server, and I periodically back it up to an external drive using the WHS backup tool.

I used to use SyncBack to do synchronization if I needed it (i.e. to flash drives), but when I wanted to have a secondary copy of data on Amazon S3, I needed to find a new sync tool, because SyncBack doesn't sync directly to S3.

I tried GoodSync, which does sync to S3 (and pretty much anything else), and I'm impressed. I'm still using the trial, but I'm probably going to buy it soon. I will miss SyncBack, but without S3 sync, it just doesn't work for me anymore.

PS: if you're looking for a good file copy tool, I highly recommend RichCopy (written by MS). It does multi-threaded file copying/synchronization, and it's the best file copier that I've ever used.

--michael

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabnebula /forum/post/17002532

FYI you can do incremental syncs with SyncToy.

The problem with LiveMesh is that it syncs through the cloud, and the client needs to be installed locally. It's great but for other uses.

You can turn off the "cloud" sync and then it really just does p2p sync. I am using it on two different sets of computers (one set of two, and one set of three). It has been working flawlessly. In my model the PCs do p2p sync using LiveMesh and the backup software on each PC does incremental backups to the NAS. The NAS stores the content in a sharable folder so I wind up with multiple safe copies all accessible from multiple shares.

The only think I do not like about it is it does not really understand the concept of setting up a sync between folders on the multiple PCs that are already populated with content that is in sync. Since I am sync'ing the public pictures/videos/music folders and did not want to have to clear out the folders and start over it took a little extra work to get this setup the way I wanted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts