AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a home I'm wiring for and I've gone entirely to cat cabling for the wiring. From the first floor to the 70" Sharp on the 4th floor it's about a 100+ foot run of 6 pieces of cat cabling which are now in place.

There is a Denon receiver in the basement for audio, but the TV upstairs may be connected to a local source like a PS3 or other gaming system.

Is there an extender for HDMI which supports audio return channel?

The Denon supports it, and the TV supports it, but if someone walks up with any local HDMI source, such as a camera, or even a local BD player, I would like to pipe the audio back down to the Denon without having to run it all down via HDMI extenders. It should be possible with one HDMI 1.4/a compliant HDMI extender with ARC and instead of having to run everything down and back, I can just run it locally to the room, then backfeed the audio w/ARC.

But, which extender can do it, and has anyone actually had any experience with them? I'm looking to make this a pretty standard practice in my home theater installations, so would appreciate any insight from others!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anyone have a recommendation on a matrix switch that would work similar to this, but have the cat5 out on the switch so you only need to put baluns on the other end? I could use something like that for my new build.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/20848646

Google "HDMI extender ARC"...

Always wonderful to get the real insight from professionals with hands on experience like yourself to a very specific question and a request for hands on experience on the subject.

Reminds me why AVS is rarely my frist choice of places to go for useful information.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks Dennis - have you used these before or are these just links to product you are aware of? I found several online, but I'm not sure what the actual quality is when we are talking about both 3D and ARC support. I think the 3D side is going to be easy, but the ARC is what I'm unsure about.

It's like manufacturers are just buying this stuff from China, putting their name on it, and not willing to release specifics about it.

Of course, both you linked seem like they may work, but they don't provide a listing of resolutions to distances with specific cabling types which would help. Some companies will do 1080p/60 at 328', but it has to be shielded cat-6 cable to do it, then they only do 100' with standard cat-5. That's why I'm really looking for any hands on insight.

I do have the new HDMI extender from Monoprice on the way. One of the base-t units. Once again, almost no specifications.

Any idea where the Audio Control piece is available from? Google didn't provide any shopping results. Guess I may need to call them.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi AV_Integrated,

I was wondering if you found a solution to your problem. I have a very similar problem. As far as I can tell the HDbase-T units from Monoprice doesn't do ARC. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.