AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody has responded to this post in the "screens" section, so I thought I'd try here also.

Interested to know who has what screen with these 2 pj's. I'm looking for a good quality alternative to the Stewart. (they are so freakin pricey)

Please include in your post: what brand, what model, what size and aspect ratio, your seating distance, cost, and where you bought it.

Please also include +'s and -'s in your opinion.

Thanks, "junky"

·
Registered
185 Posts
I currently have the Sharp Z9000 with the following:

96" Diag.,16:9, 1.3gain tab tensioned Cinema Vision electric screen.

Cost was $1,600 four years ago.

My sweet spot is 13ft. from the screen.

I have been very pleased with it. It is the only screen I ever owned, I don't have anything to compare it to otherwise.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a Sharp 9000 with 120" Da-lite Pearlescent (1.8) screen with a seating distance of about 15'. At the time of my purchase, Firehawks were just starting to appear on the market. The shipping time of the Firehawks was about 5 weeks, which was too long for me to wait without a screen.

If I had to buy a screen again however, I would by the Firehawk!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am using the CinemaVison 1.3 with my Marantz vp12s1.

Its a nice overall screen. Blacks are not as good as a gray screen, but the image is nice and bright. I do have a lot of light being bounced back onto my ceiling which makes the black bar of a letterboxed movie along the top look less black than the one along the bottom. Not too drastic, but still somewhat noticeable. A Casual viewer would never notice it.

I think that is one key advantage of the firehawk. Doesnt reflect a lot of light back into the room.

I used to have a plv60, and it took some time to get used to the lesser lumens of the vp12s1. At first I was wanting a screen with more gain but after some time, you realize 1.3 is more than enough, and the image has a definite film-like image, instead of a direct-tv type image.

MovieMan

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've used three screens with my Sharp 9000:
  • a Da-Lite Da-Mat 1.1 gain,
  • a Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision (gray screen, can't remember gain), and
  • a Stewart Firehawk (my current screen).

Hands down, the Firehawk is the best for increased contrast and color saturation. Problem is, you'll pay for it. My manual pulldown Stewart costs more than either of the electric Da-Lites I had. If you've got the money, buy a Firehawk. If you want to save some cash, get a Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Using a Stewart Firehawk (Luxus Electriscreen) with my Sharp 9000. IMO, Firehawk is the only way to go with this PJ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.