AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there using a Da-Lite screen with their Marantz vp12s1 or Sharp 9000? Please post which screen you have and what size. Please include +'s and -'s you have found. Please also include where you bought it and how much you paid. I am looking for a good quality alternative for a Stewart (they are so expensive). So actually, any info about other brands would be welcome.

Please be specific.

Thanks, "junky"

·
Registered
916 Posts
I had the Da-Lite Cinemavision (1.3 gain) screen together with the Marantz for a short while (I sold it). It looked really good, but was a 4:3 format screen. I wanted a 16:9 screen and read so many good reviews about the FireHawk that I decided to take the plunge.

To answer your question:

If you don't want to get into spending major $$$ on a Stewart, try the Cinemavision or the Da-Lite version of the "Grey" screen. From what I've read, it's also very good.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
181 Posts
vdelauz,

Are you already using Firehawk?

I'm using Da-Lite High Contrast now and am thinking of changing to either HC Cinema Vision or Firehawk.

Could you kindly share your impression of the two screens (Cinema Vision and Firehawk) with us?

Thanks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hello

I'm using a Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol screen with the Da-Mat 1.1 gain fabric.

The screen is great and has a good build quality.

Dimensions 100'' diagonal with Sharp 9000.

Although happy, I'll be changing to a 110'' diag Stewart Firehawk screen.

I have seen the Sharp with this screen and must say I was impressed.

Blacks are much better. Maybe the new fabric from Da-Lite HC Cinema Vison

might be an alternative.

The only thing I could see, that seemed to be a downside, is the slight "glimmer" that the higher gain Firehawk shows, compared to a lower gain screen.

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
916 Posts
LoFi,

It's supposedly going to ship Thursday, 5/30 from Stewart (tomorrow). I can't wait. I don't know how long it's going to take to get here because I won't have a tracking number until after it ships.

Once I get it and install it, I will post pics and a review.

As I've stated in the past, I don't know how it can get any better than what I've seen with the Marantz/Cinemavision combo. I guess the answer to that question is right around the corner. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
181 Posts
vdelauz,

Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vdelauz
LoFi,

It's supposedly going to ship Thursday, 5/30 from Stewart (tomorrow). I can't wait. I don't know how long it's going to take to get here because I won't have a tracking number until after it ships.

Once I get it and install it, I will post pics and a review.

As I've stated in the past, I don't know how it can get any better than what I've seen with the Marantz/Cinemavision combo. I guess the answer to that question is right around the corner. Stay tuned...
vdelauz,

I could see from other (later) posts that you have got the Firehawk screen. Hopefully the wrinkle problem has now gone away. It appears that you found Firehawk to be a wonderful product.

I just wonder if you have the time to help (I fully understand your need to spend time to enjoy your wonderful HT) by briefly comparing Firehawk and Da-Lite CinemaVision in your HT environment?

What is/are the main difference(s)?

Pls. pardon me in case you have already done so and I missed it. Kindly point me to the link in that case.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
916 Posts
LoFi,

I did receive and mount the FireHawk in my HT. I took a picture of it already mounted (it's on my website). The wrinkles are not as visible as before, but still there. I haven't tried the trick Don Stewart recommended on it yet because of time constraints. As I've said before, I'm not worried about it because I know that ultimately he and his company will make it right.

As for the A/B comparison, I'm biased towards the FireHawk in every way. Obviously, I don't have both of the screens in place to do a true A/B comparison (side-by-side), so my memory is all I have to go by.

There are three things that stand out with respect to the FireHawk:

1. Better blacks - this is attributed to the fact that the FireHawk is a gray screen as opposed to the Cinemavision being white.

2. Uniformity - I always had a "sparklie" effect with the Cinemavision screen that looked like if someone had sprayed glitter onto it. You could define these dots everywhere and isolate them from 13 feet away. You barely see this effect with the FireHawk. You can catch it here and there, but you really have to look for it. I guess the reflective product they apply onto the screen is applied better? Finer? Differently? I don't know, but something has definitely changed as far as uniformity of the reflective surface.

3. Overall image - This one is hard to explain other than to say that it's "flawless". I really, really love the projected image now. I couldn't be happier with my decision. Now, at least I know what I've been missing and what everyone else has been raving about. I suggest you see the difference firsthand.

If there's anything else you'd like to ask, please don't hesitate to do so. I will be more than happy to try to explain anything within my experiences.

Until then,

Victor

·
Registered
181 Posts
vdelauz,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. You've been most helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.