AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering adding a DVDO iScan Pro to my system that includes a Sony Wega KV-32XBR400 TV. Does anyone here have any real life experience using a DVDO iScan Pro with this TV? (or the 36" version) If so, are there any incompatibility issues? Is there noticeable improvement for any Non-DVD sources? Thanks,

------------------

Rick W. Scogland

My Email Address:
[email protected]

My Home Theater:
The Scogland Home Theater

Remember "Actual Reality" ... it puts virtual reality to shame, and it's like you're actually there!

·
Registered
13 Posts
HomeTheaterMagazine.com (?) in October or September 2000 did a review of the XBR400. Do a search for that past article. I remember reading something about bypassing the Sony's built in line doubler (Sony speak: DRC) with the DVDO Iscan Pro. You have to turn off DRC first. Check the article.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The RCA box you mentioned does some other things to the signal (I have no idea what), but I was told by DVDO that the output of their box does not require this type of interface (Video Authority also makes one)- that a straight cable is all that's required. Maybe some other folks on the list can enlighten me.

I plan to use mine for everything besides HD signals (obviously) and progressive scan DVD. So this list includes non-HD satellite, VCR, iPAQ Music Center, Video camera, and any other standard video device I have.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just recieved my iScan Pro. No cable yet, though. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif From what I can see, it looks to be a very well made unit. Looks as if there is a switch to convert from VGA output to Y Pb Pr output. But both out of the DB15 (VGA) port. So that must be the difference between just a cable and the converter - this unit has the converter built in. Cable due here tomorrow or Friday. i'll post again when I can really check it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't have an answer for you yet... But I will soon. I just ordered mine on Monday, so it should be here today. All indications from DVDO are that I will see a substantial improvement to my 32xbr400. Contrary to the previous post, the internal line doubler is not used when the component video inputs are used, so it's completely bypassed, and should not need to be turned off - at least that's what I'm being told. Only one other issue: the iscan pro only has a VGA output. So I had to buy a VGA to component cable - man was that a hard thing to track down. Finally had one special made from avcable.com for $50. So when the iscan pro and cable get here, I'll post results.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

jaune - I'll search for the HomeTheaterMagazine.com write-up.

cjett - you seem to have saved some money by having the VGA to component cable made ... my RCA VHDC-300 cost me $129.00 at BestBuy. I look forward to reading your experiences with this setup ... especially if you use the DVDO to improve picture quality from sources other than DVD (since I am already very happy with my DVD picture).

------------------

Rick W. Scogland

My Email Address:
[email protected]

My Home Theater:

Remember "Actual Reality" ... it puts virtual reality to shame, and it's like you're actually there!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I received my cable for my iScan Pro today. Hooked it up, adjusted it, and have been watching for a few hours. Overall the picture is better, how much better is the question. It's not subtantional. I've tried a few switch tests between regular and iScaned - and again, there is not a substantional difference. It is better. Seems to be less artifacts, and better color separation - overall the picture seems "cleaner", and "tighter". My test was Direct TV input, on a PPV channel. In one scene from O' Brother where art thou - the underwater scene - the picture was very pixalated - not sure what is causing that, maybe my settings.

Per someone's earlier post about Sony's DRC. Is there a way to verify that it's not being used when the component video inputs are being used?

Overall, I'm happy, but not thrilled.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cjett - Thanks for the quick update on your results. Not what I was hoping to hear, but I'm somehow not surprised. Sometimes things change after playing around with them for a while, and adjusting the setup. If this turns out to be the case for you, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks again for the post!

------------------

Rick W. Scogland

My Email Address:
[email protected]

My Home Theater:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cjett:
Is there a way to verify that it's not being used when the component video inputs are being used?

Overall, I'm happy, but not thrilled.
Doesn't really answer your question but does concur with your findings: "Comparing the DRC with an external line doubler, such as the DVDO iScan, shows that the DRC does as well as most any other internal line doubler. The DVDO offers better recognition of film sources and therefore eliminates nearly all motion artifacts. Fortunately, the KV-36XBR400 can be used with the DVDO for an even better picture. Unfortunately, the DVDO bypasses the TV's awesome comb filter and automatic anamorphic detection with DVD signals, which we'll get to in a moment. The anamorphic squeeze is still available, even with progressive DVD players—you just have to access it manually from the menu. As it is, the DRC does a fine job of taking good video sources and making them look even better."

See Home Theater Magazine Archive

Still wish I had the XBR450 with 3:2 pulldown or better yet the just released 40" Sony instead of mine 36xbr400. Don't we love technology.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.