AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Light output...

The grey screen, plus low light reflection will destroy your picture.

Why you would want to spend thousands on a screen that would (with a CRT) be blown away by white paint on a wall is beyond me.

· Registered
21,464 Posts
It does. It has a gain of 1.35 or 1.36. But it will shift colors quite noticeably on a CRT. If you want gain, go with the studeotech 130. It has a gain of 1.3 and will cause only improvement to a CRTs colors. It is ISF approved for CRT use. It is the same price as Firehawk.

· Registered
3,667 Posts
It doesn't shift colors on a digital projector, why would it with a CRT? What am I missing?

· Registered
6,834 Posts
"It doesn't shift colors on a digital projector, why would it with a CRT? What am I missing?"

There is a HUGE difference between the two, like there is a difference between a bicycle and an automobile, but they're both wheeled transportation...

· Registered
21,464 Posts
An Edsel was a bettter car if the tires were upgraded. The hawks do indeed improve the image caused by bulb projectors. If you choose to use one of these small beasts (i.e., bulb projectors), go for a hawk. If you do not need the extra brightness, choose the grey hawk--it shifts the colors less. Personally, those who choose a bulb projector are not video perfectionists. Since their projectors are already brighter than ours, they should go for even brighter. Hell if they can flaunt something, why not rub it in?

· Registered
1,750 Posts
"There is a HUGE difference between the two, like there is a difference between a bicycle and an automobile, but they're both wheeled transportation..."

See Ken. I told you.:)

Joe

· Registered
3,667 Posts
I just love it when I get a non-sequitor for an answer.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
OK. You asked for it.

If you put a digital PJ next to a CRT unit, what is the major difference you see (besides the obvious beauty and majesty of the larger machine)?

Right. With CRT, the colours are coming from 3 different locations - each exiting the projector at a slightly different angle.

Please don't make me go any further.:)

Joe

· Registered
16,014 Posts
Ken posted this to another recent thread which may shed some light on his comment...

"The tauted black level of the CRT is over-rated. It's not infinite, and the lenses do re-reflect and there are a few stray electrons that hit the wrong spots."

Ken has been posting similiar comments in the bulb projector forum for quite some time.

Bob

· Registered
6,660 Posts
Look the other way! Oh! there it is..and it's brother, too. Quick! look again! Oh! where'd the other one go?

Oddly enough..Hitachi did it first.

seriously (avoiding quantum discussions), positive gain in no way indicates that a screen is suited for CRT use. The CRT's have a 'tube proxmity' problem wehn it comes to high gain screens, and will show three distinct colors (RGB) across the scren surface..if the gain of the screen is too high. The Firehwak is basically a darkend high gain screen. So, if it was white, it would be in the 2.0 gain area. Since it eats light.. it is rated at 1.35. Gain being a composite number..a factor involving the returned light TOTAL.. over angle off-axis as well. It's a bit more complex than that, but that's it in a nutshell.

· Registered
3,667 Posts
OK, the light comes from different spots. I've got a buddy with a CRT and now I know why his high gain screen is curved. Thanks for the hint. I just saw the post and was curious.

I'm not coming over here to be disparaging to CRTs. If I had a basement and a 9" CRT I'd probably be happy with one. I went to a local dealer around here with total light control and a $30K brand new CRT and the picture was stunning.

However, I'm cursed to live in Lotusland and I don't have a basement. My experience was with an ECP4xxx, I can't remember which model but it didn't do the job. It also didn't have perfect black level. It was good, but not perfect and the light output wasn't high enough for more than a 50"-60" screen.

It did not cut the mustard for Sunday afternoon football. Of course, digital projectors don't either. I've estimated contrast ratios of about 10:1 at times with my ambient situation in mid-afternoon. Needless to say, its amazing how good 10:1 can look with a gray screen. Nothing like having 5 ft-C of ambient.

:cool: :D :cool:

· Registered
16,014 Posts
It's not just a brand new $30k G90 that makes the stunning picture, Ken.

For example, a friend of mine in Connecticut is going to be selling an NEC XG. This is an 8" projector that makes a gorgeous picture. His has only about 1000 hrs and is priced at $3500.

When you compare this thing's performance to what $3500 buys in a digital projector it's not even a contest. And we haven't even yet factored in the cost of a Firehawk.

But invariably when I go over to the lamp forum and read the multitude of

"I'm new and on a budget what should I buy" posts these people aren't even made aware of this. No instead they're advised to buy the entry level digitals and are dissuaded from even considering a CRT.

I guarantee you that a great many of them would opt for a $3500 CRT instead if they could see a side by side comparison. And would gladly put

blinds on the windows if need be.

Bob

· Registered
3,667 Posts
Bob, I agree, CRTs can be very inexpensive for what you get.

But we've been through this many times before.

And you are the Sultan of Cheap.

· Registered
2,088 Posts
But you can't get a new CRT for $3500, that is easy to send back to the manufacturer if there are problems.

There is no argument that CRTs provide the best picture, but my impression is a CRT user must be more technically inclined, able to do some basic trouble shooting and comfortable working around high voltage power supplies. I'm not sure most new FP users would fit that description.

· Registered
6,660 Posts
Culturally, and sociologially speaking... the 'odd man out' is the one who would play with CRT gear. As well, the 'average' type person is the kind who would 'generally' fit the description of the kinds of people who would opt for the simplicity of digital. The digital owner is also the kind of person (due to these and other considerations) who would develomentally speaking...hmm...more culturally speaking...reside in the middle of the road. Ie., Unwashed Masses. These kinds of folk tend more toward lemming, simplistic...follow the 'norm' type behavior: "existence with blinders: the lame way out" These are all generalizations. Not in any way does the CRT user become the 'special' or 'elevated', merely a minority different type of social animal. Nor does the specific digital projector user fit the profile entirely either. But the trends for these 'observations'...are DEFINITLEY there.

The overall emphasis, though, tends to put the digital users in the large majority camp..and the kind that feed off each other.

Sorta like a virus.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.