AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a problem for months and haven't got around to figuring it out...

Every time I turn on my system (360, Sony SXRD A2000, Onkyo TX-SR606 - all connected via HDMI) I lose picture and sound after everything's been on for approx. 2 minutes. The display on my receiver disappears like the connection has been broken and flickers as it tries to reconnect/re-associate. After 20-30 seconds of this it's fine until the next time I turn it on.

Any Ideas whats going on and why? (I'm thinking some kind of handshake issue but not sure) What order should my devices be turned on? (I think I should start there)

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I have nearly the same components (Sony 50A2020, Onkyo 605) connected via HDMI as well.

For each activity start macro, I add 2 steps. A 1 second delay and a command to set the TV to the same input...for a second time). I have no HDMI issues with anything.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
should be no difference, unless he has something defective in his chain of devices.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPraze /forum/post/17006137

I've been having a problem for months and haven't got around to figuring it out...

Every time I turn on my system (360, Sony SXRD A2000, Onkyo TX-SR606 - all connected via HDMI) I lose picture and sound after everything's been on for approx. 2 minutes. The display on my receiver disappears like the connection has been broken and flickers as it tries to reconnect/re-associate. After 20-30 seconds of this it's fine until the next time I turn it on.

Any Ideas whats going on and why? (I'm thinking some kind of handshake issue but not sure) What order should my devices be turned on? (I think I should start there)

Thanks in advance...

which logitech remote do you have?

so this only happens when you select the activity that includes the 360?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17009044

maybe ask ^ here to make sure but from what i can remember you need to set up the activity to turn the tv on first and allow enough delay for it to get to the input. then turn on the avr then the xbox. so it will all come down to getting the correct divice order and delays for your setup.

i dont use hdmi to my avr, i go hdmi to tv, optical to avr, so i cant be of much more help.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have an Onkyo 805 with the HDMI going from the 360 through the receiver to the TV (Mitsu DLP). I don't have any issues with loosing connection, once the TV and Onkyo are on the right inputs it has not lost connection. I think something is faulty in your chain. Oh and I have a Harmony One

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Welcome to the world of HDMI being stupid! The main problem is probably the fact that HDMI is going through the receiver before getting to the display. It shouldn't be an issue, but it is exceptionally common. If you have the option, then the easiest thing would be to go HDMI straight to the display, with optical going to the 360. Otherwise you need to play with your device order and delays in your Harmony.

The first thing I would try is the change the order to Receiver -> Display - > 360 for powering up, with no delays. If that doesn't fix the problem, then start adding in 5000ms delays between each device until the problem goes away. It will take a bit of fiddling to find out the optimal delays, and you may end up with something like Receiver -> 1000ms -> Display -> 15000ms -> 360. The idea is to give everything enough time to be "ready" for the 360 to start feeding out video.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm using a Harmony 550.

Yes, this issue is only when choosing the "Play XBOX 360" activity. (Blu Ray and Cable Box are fine)

I tried Receiver > Display > 360 as darklordjames stated, but had the same problem.

I left that order intact and added a 1000ms delay on TV and 2000ms on the 360. This resulted in the same handshake renegotiation/flicker but much sooner. (About 30 seconds after everything powered up verses the normal 2 minutes)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts