AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving my Yamaha 7.1 receiver out of my HTPC room and into the home theater. I need a receiver to replace it and the VSX-521-K has gone on sale near me. Is it a good HTPC receiver? I just need 5.1 audio and I will use the HDMI-in exclusively from my Radeon 6950.

Thanks.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Are you sure the 521 is going to have enough power for your speakers and the room? I

'm using a 1020 (last years model) with 5.1 (actually 6.1) and have 2 computers hooked up to it. It's good for my situation and has enough power. It's in my living room which opens up completely to the kitchen so it's not an ideal situation for acoustics but fine for my modest tastes. I use my HTPC mainly for OTA recordings and playback and the Dolby is excellent. I listen to a lot of music from the pc also but it's mostly older and much of it just stereo but the 1020 does a nice job of synthesizing surround.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest /forum/post/20873674

Are you sure the 521 is going to have enough power for your speakers and the room? I

'm using a 1020 (last years model) with 5.1 (actually 6.1) and have 2 computers hooked up to it. It's good for my situation and has enough power. It's in my living room which opens up completely to the kitchen so it's not an ideal situation for acoustics but fine for my modest tastes. I use my HTPC mainly for OTA recordings and playback and the Dolby is excellent. I listen to a lot of music from the pc also but it's mostly older and much of it just stereo but the 1020 does a nice job of synthesizing surround.

My HTPC room is tiny. 10 x 8'. It should have more than enough power.

I have my 7.1 Yamaha for the main theater/TV room....I just need an HDMI receiver for my video gaming...that's all. I just know some people have troubles with some receivers and Radeon HDMI video cards....

·
Registered
876 Posts
Should have mentioned both of my PCs have radeon cards (3870 and 5450) and the 1020 handles them fine with HDMI, but I'm not a gamer. I'm very happy with the 1020 as it's been flawless and provides excellent sound. There's the occasional HDMI minor glitch when something is first turned on but it's easily solved just by switching inputs back and forth with the remote. I really like the remote. It works very well controlling other devices other than a pc.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I got a Pioneer ELite VSX-31 on sale from Costco for about $70 more than the 521. It bitstreams and has 7.1 channels. It is the bottom of the Elite line up. I like it better than the Yamaha HTR 6060 it replaced.

You might consider using the VSX-31 for the Home Theater room and leaving the Yamaha where it is. The Pioneer is an amazing audio and video improvement for me. I am using it with an ASUS Nvidia 440 graphics card. The room that it is in is 22 feet by 30 feet and I have 7 speakers.

However, I have not compared the Pioneer to other AVRs. You might want to read the AVR thread in this forum, look here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=pioneer+521

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.