Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there

is anyone using this plus pj on a htpc? what are the settings you use for best image quality? i think this pj has more potential than i revealed till now :eek: . or has even someone made a hushbox for this extreme loud puppy?

thanx in advance

christoph

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've been using one for HT since February. I have found that it does quite well with upscaled DVD's (I use a modded Cassini HTPC and a Rock +). The Cassini is sharpest at native resolution (1024x768) at 75mhz, but motion judder is a bit of a problem. The Rock is judder free, but I've only used it at 72mhz, the refresh rate recommended by Mark R. The image is softer with the rock, but it has its advantages.

Light spill border around the DMD image is apparent, color is very good, contrast could be alot better but above average for DLP's. I use a whisperflow hushbox for it, but I need a new front panel for it (it originally housed an LT100). I just received my Panamorph, but have yet to try it with the Plus. I am currently using a Kodak filter with slight magenta in front of the lens to correct for the greenish cast from the 1 chip design- this works well and I highly recommend it.

The biggest bummer, which I found out after my return period had expired, is that it won't display an HD signal. I don't understand why they did this, since the Plus 1100 was HD compatible. I bought a Hipix, tried to make it work, then checked around to find out the bad news. I sold my Hipix and since I bought a Rock instead of a Vigatec I am hoping (maybe in vain) that TAW will include HD scaling to native resolutions in a future version of their feature set. Until then, no HD for me! I will upgrade my PJ when there is a significant jump in technology (higher rez chips, serious blacks, new colorwheel or 3 chip designs).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi barkingart

thank you for your reply. i think i have a remedy for your motion judder. use powerstrip to exactly reach the refreshrate from 71.928 hz or 47.952 hz on your htpc for ntsc stuff and 75.000 hz or 50.000 hz for pal material if you have some. if you have a radeon card, i could post the settings for you, so let me know.

what is the exact filter type you use? did you also test a so called nd2 filter to reduce the light/white. this reduces crawlies and gives you better blacks and contrast. your biggest bummer unfortunately doesn't bother me, as we don't have hdtv :mad: !!

what i'm most interested in, are your setting on the pj. what do you set for white? calm (? ruhig in the german menu) or normal? and what do you set for the color reproduction? normal, naturally 1 or naturally 2? do you have some problems with crawlies?

you see, i have so many questions...

thank you in advance for your help!

greetings christoph

·
Registered
730 Posts
Christoph-

The filter is a Kodak CC10m. It is a soft gel filter and needs to be used with a mount that fits over the PJ lens. I have a holder from my local camera shop that slips over the PJ lens with a wide rubber band. it works great and I can adjust focus now by just turning the filter mount.

I do not use the normal setting, because it blows out the whites and lightens the blacks. Thumper told me that Normal uses the white portion of the color wheel, while Quiet Whites skips the white section on the wheel. I use Quiet whites, which may be the "calm" setting that you're talking about.

For color reproduction, I use Normal. I don't like the other settings, they mess with the color balance too much. I currently have no problems with crawlies, it sounds like it could be a product of your scaling software.

- peace

·
Registered
730 Posts
bump

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been using a 1130 for the last 8 months. Unfortunately my experiences have not been very happy, whilst I got a great picture from a progressive scan Carmen (Theta Digital) player I had to replace the lamp TWICE !!

This is a long and expensive project for someone living where I do.

Has anyone had problems with the bulb life on the 1130??

I have just switched to a Sanyo 21N but the pixcels are certailnly more obvious on the sanyo......

Would appreciate some feedback on the bulb life,please

:confused:

·
Registered
730 Posts
b. Cooper-

No problem with my bulb so far (around 250 hours).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi b. cooper

i have this model once in the office and once at home. no problems so far. office about 250 hours and home about 100 hours.

christoph

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi b. cooper

i have this model once in the office and once at home. no problems so far. office about 250 hours and home about 100 hours.

christoph

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi experts

does it make sense to use a so called ND-2 filter (greyfilter that reduces the light by half, linear) and leave the white setting on normal instead of calm, as thumper said the contrast goes down the toilet? is this feasable and reasonable? maybe this could save the contrast AND cure the crawlies.

greetings christoph

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.