AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to use a perf screen with my Sanyo PLV60-HT but I am concerned about image quality. My main seating is approx. 12'-13' from the screen. I'm considering an 80"x45" (16:9) screen. Is anyone using a perf screen with this pj? If so, how does it look?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have setup several Studio Experience Cinema 13HD projectors with a perforated screen. For a screen your size you must use the IMX935VTS found a www.cgns.com or else you will experience the moire effect.

The image produced by this projector looks great with a perforated screen. Of course you have the added benefit of placing the center channel behind the screen also.

Good Luck,

Dave

·
Registered
114 Posts
When I purchased my PLV-60 about a year ago I demoed it at the dealer with a perforated screen. Filling the whole picture it showed moiré, a little under- or overscan helped.

So my advice is to find a dealer who can demo his screens with the exact size you want with either your own projector or the same type and brand.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
For a screen your size you must use the IMX935VTS...
David - Thanks for the suggestion, but I wouldn't think of purchasing from Cygnus Imaging for several reasons. First, the order form on the Cygnus website is NOT secure. There is no excuse for that IMO. Also, while the product sounds like it does have a positive effect on picture quality, Cygnus (the company) has received several negative "reviews" here. I think I'll save my $$$ and purchase a non-perf screen and a center channel stand before I will purchase anything from a company with a nonsecure site and less than admirable reputation. However, I have read several of your posts where you state that a diag. screen size of 103" or greater will reduce/eliminate the moire effect. I believe I may look into a larger screen for that purpose.

Ralf - I'm having samples sent from Da-Lite and Stewart. I need to see first hand how bad the moire effect is. Also, there is no one close by that has a screen I'm interested in :(

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I have tried my PLV-60 on a large (10 foot wide) microperforated screen with interesting results. As the image was zoomed in and out there were specific points when the moire artifacts would disappear. At all other sizes moire was apparent to some degree. In all cases the moire effect could be rendered invisible by defocussing the image. Normally the amount of defocussing required had no significant impact on picture quality. These results suggest that there is no magical screen size beyond which moire artifacts disappear, and that the moire artifacts can be substantially reduced by defocussing the image somewhat.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
hi guys

isn't there also the issue of nr of microperforations ( 0.5mm diameter ) per square foot, or , called, the "perforations density" ?

I mean, Stewart microperf has 30,000 microperforations per sq foot, while Harkness Hall has two microperfored screens: one with 7500 microperforations (0.5mm diameter), which requires heavy equalization of course, and one with 23,000 +/- microperforations per sq foot ( which requires less equalization, like the Stewart).

Harkness Hall mainly business is with cinemas but has now an A/V department too.

I wonder if anyone had the chance to test these screens to and if the density influences the moiré effect with digital projectors ?

thanks.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
That is a good point. I am sure that the density of the perforations will have an impact on the moire artifacts, however, my experience is limited to the Stewart screens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.