AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am turning the second bedroom of my condo into a home theater room. However, it is quite small at 9'2" wall to wall. For the same or less money as a ~50" plasma I can pick up something like the Mitsubishi HC6500U, which according to projectorcentral.com, can produce a 77" image at a 7'9" throw distance at max zoom. I would also be within the minimum recommended viewing distance when sitting on the couch, according to projector central. I plan to have the projector on a small shelf above my head. The screen would be a 77" fixed screen from GrandView.

Anyways, is anyone else using a projector in a very small room with a fairly small screen? Any issues or complaints? Anything I might be overlooking that could cause problems? The only thing I can think of is that it might not be a good idea to run the PJ at max zoom, and have zero room for error by buying the biggest screen possible.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Personally, it seems like a waste to get a projector for only a 77" screen. I would rather just get a 65" 1080p 120hz 3D Capable DLP HDTV. They have them pretty cheap nowadays. They even have a 73" model under 2 Gs. The lamps are cheaper and everything. Plus, it seems very likely that they can be converted easily into a much larger rear projection simply by removing the screen and adding a larger one with an enclosure a foot or two ahead of the original, which would have superior contrast in ambient light.

Here's the image size I get from about 8 or 9 feet with my short throw projector (only 16 feet in width; approx 17.4 feet diagonally in 2.35:1 wide aspect ratio.
):

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't see your picture here at work, but 16ft sounds very impressive!

My concern with buying a big DLP TV is that the room is so small that I don't want anything big and bulky in there. Also, if/when I move out, I can take the projector with me and buy a larger screen. I would think that the picture quality of a decent projector will be better than a DLP TV as well (My parents have an InFocus IN83 and it blows away any TV I've seen).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi Mark,

I am using a projector in a very small room. It's the center bedroom in our mobile home, and measures about 10' wide by 11' deep. I have my Mitsubishi 4900 projector sitting on top of a rack that is a little less than 5' high. I sit right in front of this rack. I am projecting an 80" wide image from this distance. I am very happy with this set-up.

We just bought a 52" Sony LCD for the living room and I was afraid that I would now be disappointed with my projected image, but I'm not! I recommend that you consider the projector. I'm very happy that I did.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
William and Fragster - thanks for your replies, its good to know that I likely won't be dissapointed. Fragster I can't see the pictures here at work but I will look at home. What projector are you using that allows such a short throw?

What are you guys doing for sound in your small rooms? I was thinking of Paradigm Studio 20's and the Paradigm SUB 12 but I'm wondering if that won't be overkill for my 9.2X10.8' room. Usage is 80% tv/movies and 20% music.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. /forum/post/17014476

What projector are you using that allows such a short throw?

I have a Marantz VP4001 (720p) that I bought for $1200 on closeout back almost 2 years when this model was discontinued.

I have entry level speakers => Infinity Primus P362 Towers, Center, Polk Audio R50's for surround. These are perfectly fine for my small HT room. I bought these as temporary when I moved into the house 2 years ago, thinking I could upgrade later when funds were available but to this day, I've never had the need to upgrade.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. /forum/post/17013010

I can't see your picture here at work, but 16ft sounds very impressive!

My concern with buying a big DLP TV is that the room is so small that I don't want anything big and bulky in there. Also, if/when I move out, I can take the projector with me and buy a larger screen. I would think that the picture quality of a decent projector will be better than a DLP TV as well (My parents have an InFocus IN83 and it blows away any TV I've seen).

The technology is basically the same. TVs in stores are often BADLY miscalibrated (100% contrast, 100% sharpness) on the show room floor. A newer 1080p DLP with similar specs shouldn't be that far off in PQ once calibrated. However, the size difference can be massive and that will be a HUGE difference in perceived quality. You see more details and the black levels drop.

Those DLP sets are pretty thin. Actually some DLP TVs are way better than a decent projector. My Toshiba E20U throws 16' wide from close to 9 feet away. It's very short throw. The pic quality is very nice for only a 480p unit. This is what I'd categorize as a "decent unit" as far as overall PQ, but it's capable of an sweet picture that can often appear well above "decent" and I love the super short throw. An HD DLP TV is capable of a much better picture as is my Sharp DT-500 HD DLP projector (same as Marantz VP4001 minus the second iris, which most don't use) but neither are capable of near the size due to room restrictions.

So, I'd say it's very incorrect to say merely a "decent" DLP projector is better than a good DLP HDTV. A VERY good/great DLP projector can be a bit better, but I dunno about "blow away".

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi Mark,

In reference to your question about a sound system for movies in such a small room..... I am using this room as a one man home theater. Since I am seated perfectly centered and the room is so small, I did away with the center channel speaker. I'm basically doing 4.1 for both surround movies and music.

I'm using an Emotiva receiver, both Blu-ray and HD-DVD players (for movies) and a Marantz 7100 Universal player for my high-res. music. I have a pair of Vienna Acoustic Bach loudspeakers for front left and right, and a very old pair of Paradigm 5-SE Mk 3's for the back speakers. My sub is also very old. A Yamaha SW-150.

I am very pleased with both my home theater and surround sound experiences in my man cave. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Go with a PJ and go big, 100" or larger, you'll love it. Only problem you have to find a very short throw PJ OR you can use longer throw PJ and aim to the rear and bouce beam off of a first-surface mirror

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I'm using a throw of about 9 feet with a Mitsubishi HC3000 and a 73" screen and it's great. My viewing distance is about 7.5 feet. I couldn't fit a huge TV, and the PJ (with screen) cost less than $800 and takes up less space. From 7.5 feet, 73" is pretty darn big. The PJ throws a great looking, immersive picture. It makes for about as good a HT experience as I could hope for in an 11'x10' room.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the further input guys. I think for a projector I want to keep it simple so I don't think I'll be using any mirrors. I would happily do a 100" screen or so but I can't find any PJ's that will throw that big of an image with the distance I have to work with. I'll have around 9'2" less the length of the projector, less about 2" for cable and that will be my throw distance, which works out to usually a little bit less than 8'. The shortest throw PJ's I've found so far are the Mitsubishi HC6500 (7'8" throw distance given the length of the PJ + cabling) and JVC RS2. It's important that the PJ be very sharp if I'm sitting that close. My parents use a 92" screen with an InFocus IN83, sit about 10-12 feet back, and its great so I wouldn't mind an 80" screen or so sitting abount 7.5 feed back.

Thanks again for the insight, I'm still trying to pick everything out.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts
At 8' throw there are few budget 1080p PJs that will provide 80" diagonal images.

.among them,

Sanyo PLV1080p

Viewsonic Pro8100

Vivitex 1080HD (soon to be released)

You want to look for len's ratios at least along the order of;

2.00 - 2.4:1

But your not going to be happy with the visual clarity you'll get with your Screen choice. Especially sitting up at a 1:1 throw/seating ratio. You'll need a surface that has absolutely NO texture to it, so that only your PJ's resolution will either be your joy...or bane.

Can you not construct a recessed Box shelf in the rear wall? What a difference that extra foot would make. (92' diagonal)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well I use the BenQ MP771, it only needs 0.5 meters to throw its image! It comes with 3000 lumens, 2000:1 contrast ratio, 4:3 native resolution 1024x768, is compatible with 1080i and 720p. Costs about $1,500 USD.

The rest of the specs are at the link below!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-MP771.htm

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21 /forum/post/17100154

Well I use the BenQ MP771, it only needs 0.5 meters to throw its image! It comes with 3000 lumens, 2000:1 contrast ratio, 4:3 native resolution 1024x768, is compatible with 1080i and 720p. Costs about $1,500 USD.

The rest of the specs are at the link below!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-MP771.htm

Please stop posting this recommendation on every thread. This is not a good home theater projector.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I too am in the same boat, I have a 9ft 9" square room I want to use a projector in because it is overwhelming having a Sony 60" rear pj in there. I think I am choosing the new Optoma HD20, I can get 80" diagnol screen out of it OR if I go 2:35 I can get 76" in 16x9 and 100" in 2:35. A trick I am going to use to get it against the wall as much as possible is to use a "right angle" hdmi adapter and a "right angle" power adapter replacment cord, that way it can be as flushed to the wall as possible.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I apologize for that, but as I mentioned in another reply, I own the MP771 (non-HT or HD Projector), and to my uses it has actually been extremely useful, as I could use it in multiple settings for multiple purposes instead of having multiple projectors to do something. It is a way to save money if you're not exactly keen on watching full HD movies.

But none the less, I apologize for giving the impression of giving bad recommendation, I just have a different perspective on projectors. I would only like to broaden the categories for new users. I apologize once again.

Edit*

Plus the user did ask for Short-Throw?

Fine, how about BenQ W1000, it's new too!
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1000.htm

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts
I suggest the following;

The Toshiba TDP-EW25U is a 2600 lumen 1280x800 16:10 PJ with 2600:1 CR (...which is excellent for that level gear....)

It will give you you 77" diagonal image from just 3.2 feet.

Not THATS a "Really Short Throw" projector!

Since I last posted (...really since my first on this thread) I myself settled on that unit for this application...a Rear Projection screen that is actually a painted Window.

In 16:9 mode.

4:3 mode

Here's a shot of Nemo showing how incredibly brilliant and dynamic such an image can be. Almost "35 mm Slide-like" in comparison.

At under $1200.00, it's a solution for a lot of people to consider.

So consider this....at 6' throw it can produce a 144" diagonal 1081i image with 40 foot lamberts of brightness.

Zounds! When 1080p units can provide such...every 10' x 10' Cracker box sized spare Bedroom will have "Virtual Reality" & "Total Image Immersion" potential.

Betcha I get there first'est!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/17114862

I suggest the following;

The Toshiba TDP-EW25U is a 2600 lumen 1280x800 16:10 PJ with 2600:1 CR (...which is excellent for that level gear....)

It will give you you 77" diagonal image from just 3.2 feet.

Not THATS a "Really Short Throw" projector!

Since I last posted (...really since my first on this thread) I myself settled on that unit for this application...a Rear Projection screen that is actually a painted Window.

In 16:9 mode.

4:3 mode

Here's a shot of Nemo showing how incredibly brilliant and dynamic such an image can be. Almost "35 mm Slide-like" in comparison.

At under $1200.00, it's a solution for a lot of people to consider.

So consider this....at 6' throw it can produce a 144" diagonal 1081i image with 40 foot lamberts of brightness.

Zounds! When 1080p units can provide such...every 10' x 10' Cracker box sized spare Bedroom will have "Virtual Reality" & "Total Image Immersion" potential.

Betcha I get there first'est!

Hey man, I've been thinking of getting this projector for the super short throw. How is the shadow detail and black level? I have the Toshiba ET20U that is just as short of throw (used in the 16 foot wide screenshot up above). The ET20U has pretty good blacks and decent shadow detail. Just wondering how you'd rate the EW25U? How are the highlights too?

I'd love to have a brighter high def version of my ET20U to fill my 16' wide wall or to use with a large rear projection set.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts