AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear projection folks are saying that the new Samsung 1080 x 1920 TVs work as a Plug-n-Play monitor with PCs

Any HTPC people using ?

How is HD OTA ?

DVDs ?

Hi Res slide shows?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I suppose you've read the big Owner's thread in the rear projection display section, right? I must say I don't have one of these sets, but I was very interested in them. From what people are saying, you can get 1080p over VGA from an htpc to the sets, that's the only way to get 1080p input on the sets, on the VGA input.

From what I've read on that thread, some things to watch out for:

Audio sync problems (where the tv video processing takes too long, results in lipsync problems), which you could compensate for with the htpc pretty easily with ac3filter)

The Video Enhancement feature they call DNIe is ALWAYS ON, not the greatest thing for htpc purists, that like to do the processing on the htpc, usually this kind of enhancement results in an overprocessed, edge enhanced look, not to mention contributes to the lipsync problems. But most people still say the sets look fantastic!!

Using HDMI to an a/v receiver will not put out DD5.1 to the receiver, you can only get DD2.0 (not really an htpc concern, more for the STB crowd, for satellite, cable, and over the air)

Now I'm about 50/50 whether to wait another year or so, for sets with 1080p HDMI inputs, ability to turn video enhancement on and off, DD5.1 over HDMI outputs, and something to deal with the lipsync problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.