AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if others are using Shuttle for their HTPCs? If so, what hints or suggestions they may wish to pass along. Basically it's a small form factor barebones PC. You can check them out here .

I put together a ST20G5 with an Athlon 3500+, 1 Gig of RAM, onboard 8 channel audio, 2x250 Gig Hard drives (Raid 0 for the heck of it), and a GeForce 6600GT. Along with wireless network, mouse, etc. TheaterTek runs like a champ (comparing to a Denon 3910) even with a few 1080p clips. The 6600GT worked instantly with my projector's 1400x788 resolution. The Shuttle is very quiet so I couldn't take the fan noise of the 6600GT and I disconnected it. According to the temperature readouts it's running around 70 and can hit 120 before the world ends.

I wanted a quiet small form factor as I don't play a lot of DVDs in the theater so I'll use the PC for daily use and set it up in there when needed. So far I'm impressed (by the way I have no relationship with them). Any other users out there? If interested there is a great ST20G5 thread here .

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've got an SB81P for exclusive HTPC usage that I'm very happy with. I'm also using a 6600GT and, like you, got annoyed with the noise but a Zalman VF700 Cu took care of that, cf. this , this , and this (NB! describes P-case mod; not sure about G5-case mileage).

Temp-wise, I'm running in the 40ies (C) or very low 50ies for the case, HDDs, and (P4, 3GHz) CPU, and up to mid 60ies for the GPU under load. Personally, I don't worry about the temps and have had no instability issues of any sort.

As for other tips: none needed in my case :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.