AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the xantech tabletop receiver and am having problems with reception. Basically, the effective range of the receiver is about 2 feet – not even close to the 30 feet per spec.

I am using the 789-44 connecting block and a cheepo universal ac adapter for power. Smarthome recommends a 12 volt 1.2 amp PS for use with the xantech connecting blocks - the adapter that I am using listed a .8 amp output, it measured pretty close to this on the multimeter.

Any ideas? Is anyone using the tabletop sensor? What type of signal reception are you getting? Should I upgrade the PS?

Thanks for the info,

Jeff

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm using one with no problems at all. The only time I have ever seen anything odd is in conjunction with direct sunlight or florescent lights. You may want to try a different PS or check all your wires.

-apnar

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm using one with my Airboard at a 15' range with no problems. Also make sure the emitters are correctly placed on the equipment. Do the emitters flash when you send a signal?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that the emitters are ok, everything works great if I am within a couple of feet from the sensor - talkback led triggers, so I know that it is getting the signal.

however, if I put the rx at the front of the room I can't get the talkback led to trigger at all, I need to walk right up next to it. There are no fluorescent lights in the room and my IR543 works flawlessly from the same location.

not sure what I will do next, probably get another power supply first. its not ideal, but it works ok with the rx on the ottoman.

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have two of them running off of one connecting block and one xantech power supply. They both work fine from the back of the wall in the largest room (around 20').

It could be any number of things - weak batteries in the remote, weak power supply, or the room could be flooded with to much direct light.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recently received a Pronto and it really works super with the xantech receiver - no reception problems at all even from the back of the room. It seems that the pronto definitely has a lot more IR punch than the remote from my denon 3300 - I did put fresh batteries in that remote but it did not help.

also, anyone who has considered getting a pronto should get one - it is just so nice to be able to not have to juggle remotes at all and be able to get to anything with just a couple of button clicks. however, be sure to block out about 2 months to be able to get your ccf finalized - although, at this point I don't know if there will ever be a final version - the tweaking possibilities are endless...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Jeff,

Just a observation. I have the same Xantech piece. My projector remote will only work about 4' away and DVD and LD remote is a little better. My pronto will work at about 25'. The IR block is behind grill coth too. My back wall is 28' and nothing works futher than about 25'. You will never be done with your CCF BTW :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.