AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently put my D-ILA in a hushbox and am using an IR repeater/extender to turn it on and off since the hushbox is not transparent. I'm using an older Recoton based IR to RF extender and while it works well for turning the D-ILA on, it cannot turn it off.

I would appreciate knowing what devices people use that work before I go out and buy another one that may not work.

Thanks..

-- John

·
Registered
493 Posts
I use a Xantech system and it works fine. It took a while to get the "operate" code working with my Pronto though. Turning the DILA on OR off should be the same code (the fact that you have to hold the operate button down for a couple seconds is what complicates the matter)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I use a Pronto remote and an HTPC that converts the IR to RS232 to control the projector through the rich RS232 port, since my projector is installed in the wall, and the IR port is not available.

It works very well, and does a lot more than the standard D-ILA remote control does (including rich macro sequences, etc.). With one "WATCH DVD" button on the remote, you can turn on the projector if it's off, start your DVD player (i.e. WinDVD), switch the projector to the correct input and source (COMP1/SXGA3) and even display a "Welcome to my home theater" message on the screen before the movie.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I use the Niles Audio IRC-6 repeater system.

There's an innocuous receiver on the A/V cabinet which is hooked to the control unit which powers

individual flashers on the HTPC, A/V processor... which are housed inside the cabinet.

The HTPC talks to the D-ILA via Dilard.

Greg

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
John:

That is truly bizarre, since it's the same code to turn the projector on and off. The IR is not "discrete", as I'm sure you know - the operate button on the button sends the same code to do both. Can you turn it off via IR at all? How about when you point the remote to the projector itself? The IR receiver is right next to the lens.

FWIW, I use a repeater with my D-ILA, and it works fine.

- Dave

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I don't know about Chip's setup - however I use a Pronto remote, which is repeated by the Niles - to

control an HTPC. The HTPC talks to the D-ILA via Dilard software and RS-232 link.

Greg

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave,

Yes, it is very bizarre and I do not understand why. In any case, I got a new Recoton IR extender and it works fine now. I will be using my HTPC eventually to control the projector but I have to run some serial cable first. This is a good solution for now.

-- John

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured out the problem. It turns out that the IR extender is very sensitive to RF noise. When the projector is off, there is no noise. When it is on, it generates quite a bit of noise which intereferes with the proper RF reception of the extender and it probably cannot emit an IR signal long enough for the D-ILA to recognize that its a power-off. Moving the extender further away from the D-ILA solved the problem.

-- John

·
Registered
380 Posts
My G-15 is mounted in a hushbox which is painted to match the ceiling and walls. I am using a xantech IR repeater, and it seems to work just fine. I'm using a complete xantech system for the D-ILA with the receiving eye mounted on the bottom of the box and the mouse IR transmitter is on the receiving eye of the D-ILA. The power supply of the xantech is mounted inside the ceiling along with a PS Ultimate outlet for the D-ILA power supply, and the power supply for the hushbox fans. I think it would be just as workable to run cat 5 cable from a xantech transmitter to the D-ILA and it could be used to control other equipment not just the D-ILA.

Larry

·
Registered
602 Posts
Patrick

I also use a Xantech and Pronto with my G-15. How did you get your Pronto to operate the on and off codes? I haven't been able to make the Pronto send the signal long enough.

Earl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.